Sunday, March 8, 2009

Windwhirl

What a happy celebration I attended yesterday morning, a baby shower. The home filled with friends from all walks of life, both for daughter and grandmother. A group of women young and old standing in line to hold the babies that came along to the shower with their moms and a group of women who threw ladies luncheon out into the street and ate their fill of the delicious spread of goodies. It was great! So much joy and genuine happiness for this little one who will make her appearance around the first week of April. I took it all in remembering the chaos of circumstances not understood just a few years ago. During that time of controlled panic no one anticipated a day like yesterday. I am so thrilled for all that yesterday came true.



Friday night Dena and I went to the Berry Center to get our Gaither on. Like I have written before I love all kinds of music and when I was a young-un, the Gaithers were contemporary Christian music. There were fights in the church over singing Because He Lives and Family of God because those weren't songs in the beloved Baptist Hymnal. I think they are now. Anyway, Dena and I were proud to be the youngest people on our row. Gaither concerts has some good people watching. Now I assume they are good people, well you know what I mean. It takes all kinds to make up the Body of Christ. I believe this was the heavier end of the body of Christ. The people in front of us had a chair space in between each one of them, than man in between the two women. We couldn't decide who he was with because he made little nookie moves to both of them. One time my knee intercepted one of his little moves to the woman on his right. Dena and I got really tickled over that. We moved over to an almost empty section for the second half. You do get your money's worth at a Gaither concert. The concert began at 7:00 and the intermission started a little after 9:30. Janet Paschal was at this concert and she is one of my favorite singers. Her life is a radiant testimony to the goodness and faithfulness of God. It doesn't hurt that she has a kickin voice either. I bought her new book and CD and have already finished the book, Treasures in the Snow (from a verse in Job).


On the way home from the shower yesterday I ran a few errands. Academy is moving from their Campbell location and a lot of merchandise has already been moved to the new store but a lot of mark downs are there at Campbell. Wow, I found some great stuff already marked down and then an additional 50% discount.


Roy is in total baseball happiness. The college baseball season has begun in earnest and his beloved adopted college, Rice, has started play. He has been to games on both Friday and Saturday. Before going on Saturday, he dropped off books at Half Price books. With the money from that he'll be able to buy some fold up statium seats for the time he chooses to sit in the bleachers. I hope to get to some games with him. It is a blast and Princess Hamburgers does the concessions...so you know the food is good.


I played hookie from church today, you know with the spring forward and all that... My mind is all into spring forward but my body is having a tough time springing forward. It is a joy that church makes it so much easier to skip with the webcasts of the services. So I enjoyed church in my jammies and eating toast. Here at the Mon home, we can eat in our worship center because it was the kitchen table this morning. Dena didn't teach in Sunday School today, so that helped my decision. She is such a great teacher I hate to miss, but when it's not her...I takes my chances. Also in mind is the weeks upcoming that I will need lots of strength to face everything on my plate. My dad is having heart surgery on March 23 and helping my mom during his days of recovery will take a lot strength and resolve. I am honored to help her but I have had several panic attacks thinking through all that will need to be done. My panic attacks mimic heart misfuncition and sometimes I get scared before I remember to trust the Lord. So basically, I am not taking my own advice of knowing where you are in transition and my mind has us already in the midst of everything wondering how it is all going to happen. Uh Nancy, everything is about 2 weeks away, so pay attention to this time. Well almost 2 weeks away, beginning next week there will be preliminary appointments for dad and follow up appointments for mom. Not by plan but most everything I have read of late includes major information on looking for God in the interruptions and seeing divine appointments that might not have otherwise happened. So I am paying attention. Also in a lot of reading so many times this has been mentioned: you have a choice. I have a choice in how I am going to respond. Choose joy or anger. Anger takes a whole lot more energy than joy thus resulting in being much more tired and unbalanced. To be honest spending so much in hospitals would not have been my choice, but God knows.


March 24 will be a big day for me. It is my three month follow up with the cardiologist from my last appointment on December 23. It will be interesting to see how my workouts have helped everything. Maybe even I will get to stop taking all the heart meds.


Wow, the Sunday afternoon nap gave all kinds of energy. This is another long post. I've noticed in my study of Bible storms, a lot of wind is present. Yes, I know the difference between wind and my hot air. Tee hee.... Anyway, it is interesting what the wind makes happen...thus the post title cause there will be a lot more windwhirls coming, but Jesus is in the midst of the storm.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

We had a couple who nearly played hooky from church come in an hour late, when there was only 20 min left. They didn't realize it until right up until the end of the service. It was funny!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the post.....any subliminal tie in with shower windwhirl??? just kidding but do follow your advice:pay attention and choose JOY! just receive it..it is there for you and you wear it so well!!!( looked for book-not at amazon or B & n yet!)

Amanda said...

I'm so glad you got to get your Gaither on. It's so funny to think about them being controversial in churches in the past. It's also funny to think that in the future, my kids might think of Chris Tomlin in the same way I think of the Gaithers. However, I will say that at First Irving, all the cool kids went to the Gaither concerts on a regular basis.

FitzandMolly said...

thanks for this - i needed the reminder today that i can choose how i will respond.