Monday, December 1, 2014

You Know, Just Like Normal

We arrived home yesterday morning around 10:15 and one of the people who works for Roy told of the horror stories of getting over the Mississippi bridge in Baton Rouge and the long ride on the causeway bridge over the Atchafalaya Swamp that happened as the busy return home travel day wore on.  She said they saw four accidents and cars running out of gas while sitting over the swamp.  It took them over 6 1/2 hours from that point to get back to Houston.  We left Hammond about 5:00 am and went over those two places really early.  We only stopped briefly in Sulfur for gas and found a doughnut shop selling boudain kolaches and we were on our way.  As we got closer to the glorious Texas border, the traffic picked up.  

Our trip home came via Atlanta and through Auburn and Montgomery.  With College Game Day in Tuscaloosa and with lanes closed throughout the area, we opted for the different route.  Once again the early drive time in Atlanta did not cause us lost time and we arrived in Hammond around 3:30 in the afternoon.  We checked in to the hotel, then went across the street to Books A Million and ate an early dinner at East of Italy.  Dena and I discovered East of Italy several years ago and the food is delicious.  They also have the friendliest staff.  I was in bed falling asleep at 6:30 and just barely knew that the Bears squeaked out a victory over Tech.  Roy said he went to bed at 7:00.  I have stayed in that hotel several times but this is the first time in a room on the east side of the hotel...which just happens to be very, very near a railroad track.  The first time I heard the whistle and rumbling sound of a train, I thought the track might be in our room and in my tired and dazed sleepiness thought of the I Love Lucy episode with the train and the moving bed.  Of course it was nothing like that, our bed didn't move and we didn't have Fred and Ethyl with us.  The second and third train barely woke me up. 

Getting home early and not cranky tired meant we got so much done.  Got the laundry started, grocery shopping done and went through the boxes that were delivered while we were gone...which I knew would be quite a few and most of them are things for our NC home.  We got through all the mail, shredding most of it and even got to watch a little bit of the Texan's win over the Titans.  This is the first trip ever that I didn't take a long nap on our return but we did go to bed earlier than usual.  

Before leaving on our trip I called the ortho to see if I could get some refills on my prescriptions before leaving, since I am overdue for a check up.  I was able to get a hold of the scheduling nurse and she called today with approval from our insurance for me to get the one set injection for my knees.  I'm even getting in this week and the best news, I have met my medical deduction so this isn't going to be painful to the wallet, only the knee or rather knees.  Dang, guess I better do a good job of shaving my legs and if I am going to go to so much work I might as well schedule a pedi this week.  

Today it has been regrouping and getting ready for the next few things we will need to take on our next journey to NC.  I also need to do a little work in the casita bedroom because overflow from Peggy's Christmas house guests will be here along with Kendra.  

It's a cold overcast day, the kind I like.  I got used to wearing winter clothes last week and it looks like this week will be a little bit of winter and a little bit of summer.  You know, just like normal.   




No comments: