Saturday, February 20, 2016

A Spacious Place and A Porch With a View

Ah Saturday, the morning after a Friday where a turn toward home is in the making. I would dance if allowed to do so but walking without a cane around the house is a reality and is highly encouraged. I'm still on a cane in stores and crowds, more for space and a sign to those around me to be careful while in my cone of canedom, but sadly it feels like it doesn't make a world of difference. Only with a cane I am armed and dangerous within swinging distance as long as I find myself on solid ground, flat ground. My feet are thanking me for learning a new way to walk, especially my big toes and yes, I thought everyone needs to know this information about the big toe appreciation going on here. The way I walk now is more mindful which fits right into my word for the year full. The doctor told me we all get into a bad habit with our gait as we....let's say mature. Thus there is more tripping and falling and wishing and hoping....there's a song in that there sentence.

So, I have one more home visit PT, thank the Lord, and then I am released to out patient therapy. The decision will be made next week if I will try and do some out patient work here for several weeks or if I will return to the land that I love...song alert...and involve a third doctor into the healing process and do my out patient work there. They are also looking into a third option of not doing any out patient work because the healing process has gone so well and so much better than they anticipated. Dr Smith likes the confidence I have regained and I agree with him that endurance is what I need to rebuild. I mentioned to him in the appointment yesterday that much of this resistance work they do with me is killing my knee and when the knee feels out of whack, that slows down endurance building work. He agreed with me that aggravating my knee is not in my best interest and he also mentioned the stress from that might trigger afib more often. So, word will come early in the week and then we will be able to make a decision about a return date that is sooner than what they thought it would be. I feel like the horse returning to the barn, focused with that one goal in mind...return.

Yet, I have so enjoyed this time back here in Rancho de Five. It has been so fun seeing friends, often. Socially, this is the busiest I can remember in the recent past of having lunches scheduled or friends dropping by. It almost feels like life when I played competitive tennis in terms of the calendar. Lisa P has been coming out on Friday afternoons and we eat and watch movies...something that I rarely allow myself to do...the watching movies part, believe me, I allow myself to eat, by their fruits ye shall know them. Dena has taken me to lunch and last night she came here bearing gifts of Papa Murphy pizza and ice cream. Peggy and I have had lunches and she was my main driver for all things appointment wise for doctors. Other friends have stopped in CourtneyS, Courtney Mc, Becky S, Geni H, Sherrie B, Bev V, and Jenea K. Roy's friends from COTHA have stopped by too. In between all these social fun times, I have been working on PT exercises and taking care of my cheese enchilada cravings I had for the past six months.

In the midst of being here I also have had quiet moments resulting in me getting to see and experience those timeless themes that God has for our lives. He has used this time emphasizing not to live a small life, with small decisions made in the midst of chaos when it would be much better for to live an open and spacious life with Him which means a more generous life in all that matters. I saw this quote the other day and it goes hand in hand with what I am being taught;

"Let others lead small lives, 
but not you. 
Let others argue over small things,
but not you.
Let others cry over small hurts,
but not you.
Let others leave their future in someone else's hands,
but not you."
Jim Rohn 

I cannot help but think of Psalm 18:19 in recovery and rehab from this broken hip. Being here has physically been a spacious place with lots of room, with no rugs and a huge shower but the spacious place has also been a spiritual one where God has opened my heart to see His desire in living life that brings Him honor and also a life that Psalm 92:12-15 talks about even in old age. Hey, nothing can make you feel old like a cane or walker. 

New International Version
He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me.
New Living Translation
He led me to a place of safety; he rescued me because he delights in me.
English Standard Version
He brought me out into a broad place; he rescued me, because he delighted in me.
New American Standard Bible 
He brought me forth also into a broad place; He rescued me, because He delighted in me.
King James Bible
He brought me forth also into a large place; he delivered me, because he delighted in me.
Holman Christian Standard Bible
He brought me out to a spacious place; He rescued me because He delighted in me. 

Verse 19. - He brought me forth also into a large place (comp. Psalm 31:8Psalm 118:5). By "a large place" is probably meant open ground, not encompassed by snares, or nets, or enemies in ambush. He delivered me, because he delighted in me. David now proceeds to explain the grounds of God's favour towards him. He begins by summing up all in a word, "God delighted in him." He then goes on to explain the causes of God's "delight" (vers. 20-26) Pulpit Commentary

No comments: