Sunday, February 19, 2017

Grateful and Thankful

There is really so much that needs to be done this evening but instead of putting up things and clothes, while going through closets and drawers to put items in donation bags, I sit here and write. I am so thankful to be home. It has been a wild ride these past few months, that have been full of fun and challenges. It is good to be home in the mountains. The sun showed off a little yesterday evening and came out this afternoon but most of the time it has been overcast and drizzly. Didn't bother me a bit that we went through Zips Car Wash and then it rained on the truck. All the car washes in a month for $15.00, such a deal. I am so grateful for friends in Houston and I am grateful for friends here. I am so blessed!

We got up early Thursday morning and hit the road about 3:46 am. We stopped at Buc-ees and we stopped in Sulphur, LA and then drove what I consider both coming and going the worst part of the trip I 10. Even early in the morning the traffic was backed up before the bridge over the Mississippi in Baton Rouge. It gave Roy a little time to look at Death Valley, LSU football stadium, but that was about it. We picked up Burger King and ate in the car to save a little time. We even hit Chattanooga at a better than normal evening traffic rush. Once we checked into the hotel, we walked over to Puelo's, a new restaurant nearby the hotel. The food was delicious. On our walk back in the chilly air I was breathing through my mouth and I knew the moment I went into afib. Dang! I have been doing so well and afib? To try and sleep was almost impossible and I was so tired. I did the best thing and asked Roy to pray for me. The afib continued on but at a rate that was bearable and sleepable. Friday morning, my heart rate was still elevated so I took one of and for the first time since getting them in July, one of the as needed heart meds I had been given. Half of a pill and the rest of it thirty minutes later. It helped and as we left Ooltewah and drove toward Blue Ridge Georgia to stop in at Mercier's, my heart rate returned pretty much to a normal BPM and I was out of afib by the time we crossed over into NC. Thank you Lord! In hindsight it was two days of packing the truck, a travel day with poor food decisions and the excitement of getting back to the land I love and to the people I love.

When I first arrived in Houston, I would be looking for things at the house that were at the NC house and now I find the opposite to be true. We needed batteries to put in the thermostats and I told Roy where they are in Houston. Oops....oh well.

Last evening I put out the bird feeders and the bird baths and waited. A few brave birds came but this morning word had gotten out in the bird world that free grub was back. When Roy and I left for church this morning a male cardinal flew in front of the truck right before we pulled out of the garage. That made me ever so happy. This afternoon several bunnies have checked in as well as those pesky squirrels and chipmunks...ALVIN!

It was so good to be back at Newfound Baptist Church this morning. Our Sunday School class didn't have an empty chair. We laughed and hugged and prayed and heard a great lesson in the span of an hour. My heart overflowed with a good theme of praises to my King. The choir sounded awesome! Pastor Jeff preached a good sermon on forgiveness....it was a good day to see friends and hug a few necks. I hadn't been able to see Vivian until this morning and what a great hug I got from my friend!

Roy cut back the forsythia this afternoon and trimmed back the plum trees, even though they are budding. We got it all gathered and put on the curb for trash pickup. Then we headed over to the Sonic for ice cream for me and a Powerade slushie for Roy. We drove around and checked on the camels, bison and watusi. There were some young watusi males duking it out or head pushing it out. The elk were taking it easy just lying in the grass.

So, this evening we find ourselves full after a delicious supper prepared by Roy and he also froze some for later suppers. I did the dishes and sent him upstairs to watch TV. We have a contractor coming in the morning so it might be an early rising for us.

Again, the theme of thanksgiving and gratefulness runs through my heart and mind tonight.

No comments: