Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Late Night Adventures

Happy Wednesday Morning! I slept in a bit today and the mockingbirds in the backyard sang me out of my sleep. Mornings coming up have early wake ups, so it is good to get a little rest and ease into the day. The past three and a half months have included all kinds of wake up times that began early and have now regulated themselves back into a more normal routine.

This week I am making all the last minute social lunches before focusing on next week and the work involved of packing. Yesterday was my last day of PT at Methodist. I leave encouraged and committed to continue the work. I passed with flying colors but there are still improvements to be made. If I were staying around she would ask for more sessions to help with my balance and spacial recognition. She said something interesting yesterday about my charts. I guess the PT person who worked with me a couple of times in the hospital misread me and thought I was one of those patients who did not want to do the work. It all came down to low platelets and needing two units of blood yet the hospital PT didn't write of me in glowing terms.  My therapist said it reminded her evaluations are a tool but her experience with patients and their attitudes should be the factor in evaluating. I think I will make an appointment with an orthopedist in Asheville to get a PT prescription and carry on with improving all that I can.

After PT I met Paige B and Peggy B for lunch at Escalante's. The food and fellowship were fabulous! Since Barnes and Noble is just across the way, I made a quick run through the bookstore...like I need anymore books. I only bought a couple of magazines like I really need more magazines. Then it was time to get home and get laundry put up and rest until Dena came over later. She was in the Katy area and we decided it would be a good thing to go out to dinner. We went to a fav, Carabba's. So glad that Carabba's which began in Houston, became a national chain. There is one in Asheville and one in Johnson City, TN. We had a great time. I told her about a Roy story that happened in the early morning, in the middle of the night and we had a good laugh. Roy even talked about it when she came in the house for a bit before leaving to return to her home in the foreign land. I will now tell y'all the story.

Roy has become very sensitive to fragrances and smells...so much so that I think some of it is his imagination and a lot of it is valid. He has been so tired that he went to bed Monday night around 8:30. I awoke in the middle of the night to find only me and Buddy in bed. I called out Roy's name and he responded from the couch in the living room. I asked him what he was doing out there and he said, "YOU forgot to wash the sheets!" (He swore he could smell the dander of Buddy at some exaggerated rate) The tone of YOU set me off. I got up and began stripping the bed of blankets and sheets. I came through the living room loaded down with bedding to be washed. Got the sheets in the washing machine and returned to the bedroom. Roy kept saying what are you doing? What are you doing? I replied simply, that I was washing the sheets. I went to the linen closet and got out another set of sheets and began making the bed. Roy reluctantly entered the bedroom and helped me make the bed. I reminded Roy I had asked him to help me remember to wash the sheets on Sunday and neither one of us gave it a second thought.  Both of us were not talking to each other in our "nice married voices" and we never raised our voices or went to sarcasm...ok the sarcasm part is something I will go to. We both got back in bed and I said the whole part that got me aggravated was the YOU....and I got up and changed the sheets so that he could sleep well the rest of the night and that I loved him. I said all that kind of in a factual voice. He responded factually, he loved me too and apologized for the YOU tone. And with that we both fell asleep. Extra points if you noticed we did not go to sleep angry.

In true Roy fashion he sent me an article the next morning via email about your bedroom is making you sick. Like he had that article right there at his disposal? Then he called me and we started laughing about the whole thing. Now, I do know he has become very sensitive to fragrances and chemicals over the years but sometimes I ask him if he smells something, when there is nothing to smell, and he concurs...yes...he can smell it. Bless him.

Roy told Dena and I last night that everyone he told the story to laughed and thought it was pretty funny. I am proud of him for telling the story...he usually doesn't do that.

The reality of life is this, you can attend a million marriage conferences and take copious notes but it really gets down to figuring out what makes your marriage work. It is knowing how to get along with one another and doing a housekeeping duty, Throw away all those notes on marriage and get to work at making it work. You'll be surprised at how much you really know to be successful.

No comments: