Friday, September 19, 2008

September 19 Update

Strength will rise when I go into the Nord, I will go into the Nord, I will go into the Nord. Strength will rise when I go into the Nord, I will go into the Nord, I will go into the Nord. The store a stress reliever, and shop, customer service it delivers....You are the fantastic Nord, the wonderful Nord....

Today I ventured out all by myself, carefully, taking it easy and not getting stressed to go the Galleria to shop at the Nord. Triple points...piano...lemon peach smoothie...returning a pair of shoes...getting my brows done...lunch... It is all good. I totally had a relaxing time. In fact, Emily had a cancellation, so I was able to get all my brow work outsourced. I miss Charles though. The Trend Show is October 18 so I got my tickets. Ran into Mary Ann, Kay and Jayk. It is always good to see friends at the Nord.

Now I am at church. Came in to take care of a few odds and ends. I am also waiting for Roy to finish up at the office. We'll grab some dinner and we are making a trip to Lowe's.

Last night we met Dena at Ninfa's to take care of a hankering for Mexican food. We had a great time laughing and visiting. It has been awhile since we all have been together. Roy was being helpful with all his hurricane preparedness and hurricane aftermath hints. After dinner Roy and I found a working ATM without fees but didn't find a gas station open with fuel.

It has been a week since Ike invaded and somewhat disrupted our lives. In many ways I am thankful for the storm in that I was able to get on the fast track for medical attention. Living without power has not been that bad. It is all about making the necessary adjustments to expectations and how to live. Last night there were stories after stories about marriages saved, people who used this time to stop smoking, those who are getting a handle on their lives and many who have seen for the first time how busyness can demand attention and we don't even see it.

I cannot tell you how the wind blew, other than it did. It was worse the on the backside. Our windows shook and rattled, but they held. Our building is built out of cinder blocks and I felt our building shake and sway. I understand darkness and how unsettling it can be. I also understand light and just the smallest beam can make a difference. This summer I've been drawn to Luke 6 and the story of building a house upon the rock and a house built on the sand. What comfort and strength those verses have been in the past week.

  • Don't underestimate a hot meal
  • Be thankful for the little things
  • My little Gaither flashlight has been a godsend, as well as my small reading lights
  • love a battery operated fan with water spray capabilities
  • A hubby who is gifted with attention to details.
  • running water, even if it is cold. A cold shower is better than no shower at all

I don't think Roy will make fun of me again over my compulsion to have lots and lots of underwear. His supply low, mine plentiful... I would hope we will have power before he has to resort to my Jockey for Her... I would give him solid blue and white...nothing girly for the man.

Thank you for all the offers of hot showers, laundry, a cool place to stay...thank you for your prayers. I'd ask for those to continue. I am thankful and grateful to a loving Father who has blessed me with every spiritual blessing. He has brought into our lives some of the best friends. Here of late my best friend has been a shower radio. It gets great reception and has an easy carry handle. I didn't even remember we owned this radio until I went searching for our battery operated TV.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh when you mentioned your Gaither flashlight. The doctor I work for is married to a "Gaither"...yes, the same family! :)

Amanda said...

You were on my mind today. I'm so glad you updated. PTL for the Nord having power and being ready to minister to you. I pray yours comes back soon!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you made a trip to the Nord....I know how restorative that is and I take it as a sign of you feeling better.
love,
Emily

Michelle said...

Thank God for the Nord. You crack me up! Our power came on Saturday night!