Friday, September 12, 2008

Waiting for Ike, Ike, Baby...

So we are just hanging out waiting for Ike. It is surreal to watch all the coverage in Galveston and then keep in mind that there is a storm on the way. And we are sitting here in the path. The time has been productive in that we are getting a lot of things taken care of around here that have needed attention for a bit. Well, Roy is is taking care of a lot of stuff. One thing he did this morning is write out our disaster recovery plan. Got to love a plan man and one who does this type a thing in the daily course of his work.

I am still trying to get my brain around the past 48 hours. Yet the past 48 hours has made sense of the whole summer and how I have felt. It seems things began happening right about the time I went on the Alaska cruise. Roy thinks the stress of making the ship connection and then the stress of getting through the Seattle airport on our way home effected me. Add to this the Sundays that I nearly fainted getting into church. This led to a general weakness that overtook a little bit of me everyday. I kept thinking it was the pain killer medicine I am on for my knees. It has made my ADD life much better yet I felt there was something seriously going on in my personality and outlook. Let's face it I was exhausted, not very social, and getting quieter and quieter by the day, all contrary to who I am naturally. I was so sensitive to comments or actions by others. That is not my normal way of reacting.

So the past few weeks with the mis-diagnoses of pleurisy and the wait for my health to turn the corner, conditions deteriorated and my cone of uncertainty spread out. OK, way too much coverage talk. When my Dr called me yesterday morning to let me know she had found a cardiology practice that would run a echo gram on me, but I needed to be there by 10:00. There was an urgency in her voice that stopped me from saying, oh I'll just get this done after the storm and I heard in my spirit at that same time, if you make that decision, it will be the last decision you ever make. So the adventure began that I wrote about yesterday. I have thankfully pondered how the Lord moved people, circumstances and situations. Just getting a hold of Roy is a miracle. When he came to get me there was an ambulance waiting to take a patient to an appointment. I almost laid down on the gurney and said take me to Memorial City Hospital. The struggle to breath was unbelievable and I kept saying over and over, let everything that has breath praise the Lord! As we went to Dr. Riley's to pick up the order, I asked Roy to pray...out loud. He began quoting scripture to encourage me and held my hand. He called the cardiologist's office to see about a wheel chair. I am telling y'all right now if he hadn't done that, there is no way I could have made it up to the office.

It will be an interesting journey in the upcoming months. I know there is much more to come other than taking 3 pills a day. The Dr told me I will be seeing him every two weeks for quite some time ahead. The news that I had a heart attack sometime during the past few weeks and didn't know it. The last words spoken to me by Chris the technician, ring in my ears. If you hadn't come in today, you would have not made it through the weekend.

Last night was some of the best rest I have had in a long time. Today is the first day I have an appetite and kept food down.

Makes me think of my prayers and questions to God this summer and seems like I am sensing direction and leading. I am thankful although that hadn't really happened until today, about God's timing.

It is 6:13 pm, the wind has picked up, but no rain yet. Roy is restless and is outside walking in the parking lot. He doesn't have anything else to repair or prepare. I've been trying to talk him into ironing a few things for me... It ain't working. Buddy has been especially clingy today. She took a long nap with me and then sat with me for a bit. So her unexpected attack on my legs under the table was a big surprise. She's nuts...

Again, thank you for the prayers and thoughts for me and for us.

I've decided if I want to be interviewed by the media about the storm, I need to black out a couple of my teeth and add some pink curlers in my hair.

this just in! Sheila Jackson Lee has made her first speaking TV appearance. Last night night she stood at the press conference with the mayor etc and you could tell by the look of her face, she wanted to say something, but no one let her say a word.

I've checked in with friends throughout the day. Seems like we are all just hanging around waiting for the inevitable. I'll post again after the storm or when the power comes back on. They are saying it could be two weeks...oh...that's not something I am looking forward to.

5 comments:

Dana said...

I wish Shelia would get a new hair style! (Ok, that was mean, but it has stayed the same for quite a while...)

Meanwhile you, my friend, are such a blessing to everyone. I know so many people are praying for you and are so grateful you are okay. Myself included.

Ilove you and I am praying for you and hoping you are safe in the storm.

Oh, and yours is not the only pet who is going berserk...my dog is growling and chasing the wind around here like it's a squirrel.

Michelle said...

Nancy...
I just read your last two posts. I am so thankful that God has directed your steps to the right doctors who care and don't miss a beat. (no pun intended) But seriously, I could cry reading all of this and know that I am praying for you and want you so bad to be relieved of all of this. God is protecting you and is on your side!
Love you!
Michelle

AyDubb said...

Nancy, I started reading your title and began singing Vanilla Ice's hit...doo doo doo doo-doo doo-doo...

I am sooo glad you found a doctor who was willing to listen to wha you were NOT saying. That's so important, and I can imagine that you know that very well at this point. I've always heard that heart issues appear differently in women than in men, and I believe that more than ever now. So glad you are feeling better. Will definitely keep you in my prayers.

...and if you score an interview on the news, please don't forget your scarf to go over the pink rollers. Maybe have one of the rollers hanging on by a couple of hairs. That'd be perfect! :-)

Ali said...

I want you to know that my parents are on a cruise in the Baltic at the minute, and they have been watching Ike on CNN and Fox and phoning every day to see how all you good folks in Houston are doing and if I have heard any news. (My mum reads all your blogs secretly you know!)

Be safe, and come back to us soon

Lauren said...

Hey there,
I am so sorry about the health issues! UGH! God is so good, though. He has been incredibly faithful to you and will continue to be. What an amazing thing.
Glad y'all made it through the storm!