Saturday, September 6, 2008

Things One Can Learn Early in the Morning in the Middle of the Night

I am not at the Worship Center dedication today. I would love to be and have it in my sights to get there tomorrow for the 9:10 service. My quick update would be, breathing is becoming easier and not so painful, cough has turned nasty, made it two nights not throwing up, but I threw up this morning. My stamina is low and to top it all off I could not fall asleep last night. I rarely suffer from any type of insomnia and fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, but that has not been the case lately. Partly this is due to the fact that I am coming off non narcotic pain meds although it feels like I am.

Had this great idea, take the feather beds off our bed and put them on the bed in the guest room. Not bad, but got dust stirred up. Roy is a trooper helping me, well actually doing all the things I can't do right now. We also put on clean sheets, but this set is my least favorite and that contributed to my sleeplessness too.

So, last night here is what I learned. There ain't one good program on TV in the middle of the night. I could have bought several life changing products though. In fact I had just cancelled my monthly order of Dr. Franks, Stop Pain Now yesterday. I ordered that the last time I stayed up late and that was during the Christmas holidays. I read for a while. Thought about breaking out the Leave it to Beaver DVD's but decided that would just make me want to stay up and watch. Thought about posting on the blog, but writing invigorates me.

Pleurisy gives the opportunity to make all kinds of noises one never thought in their wildest dreams they could make. I was in the kitchen leaning on the counter when I heard the loveliest chirping of birds in the middle of the night. I soon came to realize it was just a weird whistle sound coming out of my nose. There are times the wheezing seems so bad, that I thought Buddy was lying by my side. Only then to realize that sound is coming out of my throat and not Buddy. There are times when both the whistle and the wheez come at the same time. Kind of reminds me of choir, whistle is soprano like and wheez is more like alto. This past week I have awakened me out of deep, deep sleep with all this noise. Combine that with Roy's snoring, no wonder Buddy has been sleeping in the living room of late.

Last night I learned you should never put Vick's Vapo Rub up your nose. Well, that is what the package says. Vick's has been my fragrance of choice the past few days.

A re-write of the words to a song came to me early in the morning in the middle of the night. Need to tell my friends I have the jest of the song, now need to fine tune it.

I got desperate... I remembered the story of Peter, James and John not being able to stay awake. That is when I decided I would pray and that being biblical and all, I would fall asleep. Actually, if you read this blog and I know your name, you were prayed for last night. If you read this blog and I don't know your name, you were prayed for last night. People kept coming to mind and I just kept bringing them to the Lord. I laid out my own heart last night with Him and gave Him my questions and my heartfelt desire for His answers. Finally, at 3:50 am when I laid my head down, I knew this time I would fall asleep.

At 5:15 am Roy wakes me up with a thank you. What???? My nose whistle woke him up better than any alarm clock. He was meeting his walking group at 6:00 am and had almost overslept. Glad to be of help dear...

10 comments:

Ali said...

Nancy

My thoughts and prayers are with you, you sound miserable and I have every sympathy.

Please get well agains soon

jené said...

I'm awake at many odd hours during the night. Maybe we can set up a chat room just for that! I too find myself spending the time in prayer. My reasoning is that at least I am doing some good.

Anonymous said...

praying you sleep extra well tonight and arrive (with as few symptoms as possible) at the 9:10 service in time to get your favorite seat...or possibly a seat next to annette!!!! Thank You for your prayers....

Amanda said...

Bless your heart, Nancy. That sounds awful.

Profbaugh said...

Oh Nancy,

I have been just covering you in prayer. I've had my own bought with a nasty sinus infection/cough/asthma which had also kept me up. It's no fun. And you're right there is absolutely nothing on tv in the middle of the night except infomercials. So far I've resisted the urge to bust out the credit card and buy, but too much more of this. Well, I'm not sure how long I can hold out (tee hee). Seriously, I do hope you feel better soon. . and that you make it to the 9:10 service. You'll need to take some pictures to share with those of us not in Houston.

So here's to your health. May you find it easier and easier to breathe.

P.S. I find Delsym (over the counter) works wonders for coughs.

Love ya,
~Cheryl

Anonymous said...

I WILL be looking for you. I don't know where your favorite seat is, but I'll be scouting for you and Barbara & JJ--all my favorite 9:10 people. You have to feel better. It is going to be a great day to be back together. I'm praying for you right now. Love you, Annette

Jennifer said...

Nancy, I will be praying you are able to sleep and make it in tomorrow. Get well soon.

Anonymous said...

My new job gives me almost unlimited access to every prescription sleep medicine out there! So, let me know if I can help....lol!

I am praying for you - anything upper respitory is horrible - especially this time of the year!

Love you and miss you like crazy!

Anonymous said...

p.s. you should have been asleep at 10:07 last night getting your rest...not up "computerin'"

Angela Baylis said...

Well? Were you able to make it to church on Sunday? I saw a picture and the Worship center looks amazing! I hope you are feeling a lot better by now!
Love,
Angie xoxo