Thursday, September 25, 2008

Recovery

I got word that an old friend came to the neighborhood last night. My friend had been at other homes and businesses and I was beginning to doubt if my friend and I had ever had that strong of relationship in the first place. You know I was beginning to feel snubbed. Of course over the years I have to admit I have taken our relationship for granted. Looking over the years, I have certainly been the one taking and never appreciating their generosity and presence of always being there and me expecting them to be. Welcome home electricity! I have missed you and I hope you always feel right at home with us.

Yesterday, I hit bottom. I was so discouraged seeing the tree trimmers arrive in mass and then just like the cavalry, the linemen trucks charge in and begin to do the good work. Roy had talked to the older ladies of the condo and they told him of the massive destruction down the street. All the work that needed to be done was going to delay our power returning. And according to the all knowing ladies, we are hooked up and ready to roll except that...you know down the street. I stayed around here till 1:00 and realized I needed to get out. So I loaded up the lap top and several books and I went out the door. I began to think through my options of where to go. I decided to take my chances at The Nord. I had remembered to bring my $40.00 in Nordstrom Notes with me. I had a delicious and quiet lunch. Then I went to the spa just to see if there were any openings for a pedi. It seems like I would feel more human if my feet felt and looked good. Opening at 3:15. I wanted to have a pedi long before this, but cold water leg shaving isn't that effective. Then I remembered the Bliss hot lather I had and was able to get the job done. There was a woman in the other pedi chair that was really getting on my nerves. She texted the whole time and she probably has no clue that the sound can be turned off of the key pad. Then she complained she couldn't read, not enough light. So she puts her magazine under the light Lilly is using to work on her nails. She had such an attitude and she was downright rude. I was just about to say something when I remembered my t shirt I was wearing. Has the new logo and website for Houston's First on it. Drat...the power of Christ and a t-shirt kept me from opening my big mouth and stooping to her level.

Dena called as I left the Nord checking to see the status of power. Roy had a meeting at Fulbright and Jaworski and wouldn't be home until 9:00. So, Dena and I decided to meet for dinner and while she was getting everything done at the office, I would go hide out at church. I stayed in the Reception Room which was formerly the room known as Green Room. Worked away on the laptop and got to visit with friends as they passed by. I met Dena at On the Border. Definitely on the "return to" list. Table side guacamole was awesome! I was going to leave a message with Roy that I was going over to Dena's till he came home when I saw the text from Aimee... "6:52 heard shouting in courtyard. A/C just kicked on." I could not get home quick enough. I told Dena I would call and confirm power inside our condo... there is the possibility everyone else could have power except us. Elevator turned off, but I think that is the quickest I have done the stairs all week. Opened the door and there was light! I laughed with joy and then cried for joy. Called Roy to let him know of the news and then called Dena. She said, I know, I had to drive down your street on my way home to see.

Got the A/C turned on, ran the dishwasher and started a load of towels. Then just sat there relieved. Of course return of coolness woke Buddy up from her lethargic hot cat self. She wanted to play.

There is a lot I learned from the past 12 days. I've been journaling those thoughts. I also know that we can exist with two coolers. The light exposed the floors that need to be mopped and the carpet that needs to be vacuumed. Since I am to take it easy, I am pacing myself with clean up. My ankles and feet aren't nearly as swollen this morning. I love that I can stay home now and recover properly.

Sometimes we become reactive to less than pleasant situations. I was beginning to hatch this wonderful plot of buying up shares of Centerpoint and become a share holder of note. Then proceed to wreck havoc as pay back...I told Roy last night of my plan. He had been thinking the same thing...

Next on the list, hot shower.

19 comments:

The Powell Family said...

SO glad you have power-now put your feet up at home and read a good one! You should take me for the pedi next time. I will just sit next to you and doze. About the power of Christ on a shirt--you know I am always looking down to make sure I am not wearing a Crossings shirt when I am out with my little animals...I mean precious children.
Lori

Jennifer said...

I am so glad you have your power back. I know I have also had to check my shirt a few times. It seems like the only t-shirts I have are Houston Project shirts, so I do a lot of biting my tongue while teaching my children how to NOT say something.

Anonymous said...

oh boy am i happy for you...now,lets not overdo the household chores and negate the recovery you've achieved during such an "inconvience"as this!!!! I'll bet Buddy was one of the few who were basking in the heat...dontchaluvkatz? I'll check the hfbc site to see the tshirt...it must be some kind of powerful if it protected you after the stress you've been under....i'd be ready to run my mouth at the first irritation....hmm that may be a bit dramatic but it makes good copy right? Enjoy the land of cool milk and honey..read and rest lots!!!

Anonymous said...

...hmm...tried to search the bookstore for the tshirt but i can't get there as a guest...i always used to look through their catalogues before....looks like i'll have to wait until i get there to see the shirt!!!! Again...i'm really glad you have AC!!!

Profbaugh said...

Woo Hoo!! I'm so happy for you Nancy. Been praying my butt off for you. I'm doing my happy dance here in St. Louis. So glad you're fully "powered" again. Enjoy it and don't work to hard. Just relax with buddy!!

Much love,
~Cheryl

Amanda said...

Yeah! Praise the Lord!

Anonymous said...

Wow - I wondered what all the noise was ;) Take care of yourself - don't do too much. I have to say though that I'm a little jealous. . . but happy for you!

My day will come. . .

LMS

Lauren said...

Boy, I am so glad you have power now! I know it is stinky to be feeling bad and also have the added stress of no power, which makes everything more difficult/complicated. Glad you got it back!!!

Lauren said...

Now go have some cheesecake.

Jennifer said...

Yeah!!! I am so glad for you. We are still without! Yuck!!

Dana said...

I am so happy you have power. I told someone today that I may have power, but I truly lack energy. I am drained. We are done. But this too shall pass and I will feel like normal (whatever) soon.

Oh and when our lights came on, I was SHOCKED *ha* at how much I missed when I dusted or swept in the dark...

Here's hoping you have energy along with your power! Love you!

The Powell Family said...

I left you a little blogging gift at katymom today!

Ali said...

delighted you have power again. even more delighted you got your pedi. even in extreme emergency situations, a girl has to prioritise ;-)

loisjburt said...

Hey Nancy - Ihope you are taking it carefully. We are going to pray that you will not have to have surgery. Also Praise God that your power is back. We have no gas in ATlanta. I have to drive Jeremy's car tomorrow as mine is empty and I have to go to work. Chick-fil-A must go on!
Lois

loisjburt said...

loisjburt says- hope you are taking it easy. We will be praying that you will not have to have surgery. Also so glad that your power is on. We have no gas in Atlanta. I have to drive Jeremy's car tomorrow as mine is empty. I must go to work as Chick-fil-A cannot do without me - Hurrah!

Michelle said...

i am so glad that you have power! yeah!

Sarah said...

Yeah for POWER...give Him some praise!

FitzandMolly said...

hey friend - it's been too long since we've talked!

Anonymous said...

miss you!!!!