Sunday, May 17, 2009

Buddy Lee Now Happily Napping at Home




This is one happy former camper. Buddy meowed all the way home on Friday, but she soon got over it and was happily sitting in my lap a few minutes after getting home. She has been my constant shadow and companion all weekend. It has cured her of running into the hallway anytime the front door is opened. She has even made up with Roy. She blamed him for her camp time because he took her in. I just didn't have the heart for it.


Regular routines came back to us naturally but just as the beginning of the book Rebbecca, "our hearts return to the thoughts of the Biltmore."


On Wed we were in Nashville and got to spend the night at my brothers. We also had dinner with Doug, Nancy, Megan and Erin. Of course each time we see the girls we cannot believe how much they have grown up. They were in the midst of finals and weren't able to hang out with their old auntie and uncle for very long. They missed a fun excursion to Trader Joe's. Houston doesn't have one, but we need one. Roy and I bought all kinds of goodies. Doug's home is in West End and we loved that area of town. It is a combination West U and Heights. He gave a great tour. Of course we always comment, why do we live in Houston?


Roy and I were talking at lunch about our trip and what a wonderful time we had on it and with each other. Both of us were refreshed. We celebrated the return of good health for me. We prepared our hearts and minds for some anticipated good news and awards for Roy. So grateful for God's presence and His goodness to us, especially in the past year. We appreciated the joyful fact and effects of my retirement and the joy that lunches with friends brings, having unlimited study time, great books waiting for me to read, and the remarkable recuperation that has brought me to a disciplined work out again. Roy says just about every week, how thankful he is to have me out of the office.


In the past few weeks I have been able to reconnect with a friend from college thanks to Facebook. I had never gone out to the Texas State University network but several weeks ago I did. There on the first page was my friend Alice. She had a different last name since the last time we talked, but I knew by the smile on that face, this had to be Alice. I sent her a message and we have been blowing up the Internet with emails ever since. She teaches Old Testament at a Bible College in Arizona. She and I have remembered some crazy good times and we have picked up right where we left off. God used her so tremendously in a really hard, battle weary time in my life. How do you catch up? One email at a time.


Well, my happy camper Buddy has moved back to the bedroom where she is probably taking her late afternoon nap. When she wakes up, she'll start crying and come running to find me. Once she knows I'm around, she'll be able to peaceably have her early evening nap.

4 comments:

FitzandMolly said...

I am one friend with whom you have not yet dined at the luncheon hour. Let's do so soon.

Jennifer said...

Yesterday morning we were watching CBS Sunday Morning and they were airing from the Biltmore Estates. I told Scott that you had just been! Too funny!

Jennifer said...

I gave you a blog award today:

http://themaynards3.blogspot.com/2009/05/bloggy-award.html

Lauren said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful trip! I love how Roy is so supportive of your retirement, and Nashville sounds awesome! If they have a Trader Joe's, they must be great. I will really miss TJ when we move to H-town!