Friday, May 8, 2009

Stars Fell on Alabama...It's a Book Title

Greetings from the great state of Alabama. The states the stars fell on and sweet home Alabama to many. Tonight Sweet Home Alabama is my theme song. I thought we might stop in Meridian for the night but Roy wanted to go on to Tuscaloosa. I mentioned to Roy this might be Bama's graduation weekend. He wanted to keep moving, so in Jesus Name we pressed on. We pulled into a Hampton and he received the great good news, graduation.... but the fine folks at Hampton made some calls and the Hilton Garden Inn had one room left, a smoking room. At that moment I was willing to take up the smokes to get a room. When we arrived here and nothing is easy to get to in this town, we were told at the desk, there was no room in the Inn. I began to walk out back to the dumpster since there wasn't a stable behind the Hilton, just a movie theatre. Roy explained to the patient clerk about the phone call, etc... Well, she did check with the manager and there was a room for us being held under the name of Hotel. Hi, my name is Nancy Hotel and I am willing to take up smoking for the night to get a room cause I be so very, very tired. We must have looked so worn out and tired, because they also discounted the room and gave us a coupon for free breakfast. Praise the Lord! While Roy was waiting for all this to happen, I was in the Ladies Room praying out of our deep need and desperation. I didn't think I had it in me to drive to B'ham this evening. So, here we are and so very thankful.


We left Houston around 9:15 this morning after dropping off Buddy at camp. I couldn't even take her in, Roy had to do it. I miss Buddy. We had a wonderful lunch at Cracker Barrel. Roy isn't as much fun as Dena in a Cracker Barrel. In fact, he didn't realize the tradition that she and I have at making a stop at each and everyone we see. Moon Pies were on sale, 2 boxes for $8. They even had vanilla ones. We will pass that CB on the way home and I am going to pick up some Moon Pies for home.

We rented a Blue Camry for the trip and it is a great ride. We've had good weather so far. Roy has been reading a book from the 1800's on prayer and he has read me several passages that were really good. We've had fun talking and discussing and solving every problem that is happening in the world. Although we have no answer for the e coli problem with the Baytown water.

Dinner was in Meridian, MS. We ate at Chicky and it was good. The last time I was in Meridian was with Dena on our way home from Asheville. We ate at a scary McDonald's in Meridian and my street smarts came back strong. I called her from Meridian to let her know it was a new kind of place or maybe we hadn't driven far enough.



Sleep is calling my name. Fortunately, we don't have to smoke to rent the room. Although if this was a drinking and smoking room, I might take a sip of the vine...you know just to fit in and to be all things to all people so that I might win some. OK, yes, I know all out of context, but you know me, I am pushing the envelope. Good Night!

3 comments:

Dena said...

Thanks for the report from the road! Maybe Travel Channel is calling your name. For all those dying to know, the Baytown e-coli water problem won't be lifted any earlier than Sunday afternoon. Cracker Barrel (some of them) gives free coffee to travelers, so Roy may get more interested in CB with that knowledge. But, Moon Pies and the soft Bob's Peppermint sticks should stand on their own. Be safe!

FitzandMolly said...

Nancy Hotel, I just want to know if you're going to play the "Valerie Valet" card at some point on this trip?

Lori said...

I knew I felt a shift in the winds that day. I hope you enjoyed your brief yet "gritty" stay in Alabama! I am catching up on your blog today. Sadly my mother passed away on March 28th and my life screeched to a halt. Life had already changed drastically because she had been ill for over a year, but when a loved one is passing from this earth to God's arms, everything fades into the background.
So glad you and Roy had a good vacation. The Moon Pies would have been the highlight for me!