Friday, May 22, 2009

A Spray Tan from a Professional Can

From afar and maybe even close up, my week's activities have me more in the role of a dilettante than my usual activities of working out, eating lunch with friends and reading a ton of books. It all fell together on this one week. I rescheduled my massage from last week to this week and because we have a wedding to attend Saturday, this morning I found myself back at the club getting a spray tan. I have never had one of these in my whole entire life and now I am questioning myself why I waited so long.


Things like pedicures, manicures and massages became a regular part of life, later in life. Once I turned 50, there was no looking back. I wanted to enjoy the pampered life before adult Pampers became a part of my life. Now I may have to add spray tans. Here is how all this came about, Roy's bosses daughter is getting married tomorrow. Last year we got a save the date refrigerator magnet to keep our calendar open for the wedding and then came the elaborate invitation. Now I can get away with the skirts I usually wear for weddings and sometimes funerals at church, but I knew for this occasion something dressier would be appropriate. I told Roy a couple of months ago, I didn't want to attend because I didn't have anything to wear. He said, go buy a dress. So being the submissive wife that I am in my own imagination, I went to the Nord and found a fabulous dress. The fit perfect, except for one little thing, it was a little shorter than I am used to wearing. Even with the Nord alterations of letting down the hem it was going to have to be panty hose or tan legs. The only two choices open to me to help cover up my surgically ugly knees.


Now it just happens that my massage therapist is one of the best spray tan professionals in the city of Houston. So I gutted it up and made an appointment. To say that I was a bit intimidated is an understatement. You have to admit that it is just putting it all out there to get this done. As it happens I have been reading a wonderful travel/memoir, Without Reservation. One of my favorite thoughts from the book is the writer's observation of people. She writes after watching groups and the lines and roles that people form, she would rather be a part of the fun attitude toward life group than the whinny, cranky, critical people in life. So look at mishaps or intimidating things as an adventure and have fun with it. So that is what I decided I would do, just have fun with the whole process. Of course it helps that I have been going to Stacey for about 5 years, but.... it wasn't bad at all, kind of fun. I was happy to have had some working out under my belt...or lack of belt, because you hold your arms out and away for a good bit of time.


I love my tan from a can. It's great! Roy likes it a lot and says it looks really good and he wouldn't mind if I did this like once a month.. Yahoo! In between maybe I can prolong the tan life with some tanning products from the Walgreen's. Bet I don't see an old woman in tight knit workout shorts wearing Depends on the tanning aisle... Hmm..let me re-think that. NO, it won't be me with that outfit on. Anyway, hopefully, I will look OK for this wedding where we won't know very many, but it is one of those Mrs. Mon times and I want Roy to be happy to be seen with me.

1 comment:

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Now I know why we would be friends....I spray tan at least every other week and have for years.... and I get a massage every week.... those are just must do's for me...along with nails and pedicure....along with buying every book that even looks like it might be good....but.....I don't spend money on lots of other stuff....