Friday, December 25, 2009

God Came Down, Here With Us. That's the Song of Christmas.

Merry Christmas! We celebrated yesterday with my parents. We brought over food from one of their favorite places, The Black Eyed Pea. We had a delicious lunch and then opened gifts. Well, they opened gifts. My dad could not remember where he put the envelopes for the gift cards he bought for everyone. So we were handed our cards, no unwrapping involved. Roy was able to help my dad with his computer and helped him get his email account set up and running. All in all it was one of the better Christmas' in recent memory. It is sadly obvious that my mom continues in the downward spiral of Alzheimer's. She knows us, she knows in her head what she wants to say but has trouble completing a sentence without a lot of help. She is still very funny and has her sense of humor about things. Now patience with my dad is another thing and she gets rather upset with him at times. It's not right but it is sure dang funny seeing my dad get verbally whipped into shape by my mom. She has never done this in her life!


This is her new Christmas tree. Her other one bit the dust after years and years of service.


Our family pic from the day.


Roy and I messing with the camera while my parents made their way to the den.


Mom, Dad and the tree...that makes three
We came back home and then headed out for the Christmas Eve service at St. Martin's. It is always such a beautiful and worshipful service. We get our liturgical service fix. We went to Starbucks beforehand and drove around looking at lights. We usually do this in the convertible but it was just too dang cold to do that last night. I participated full out Episcopalian... actually used the little bench to kneel. Ouch, my knees are a bit tender today. Also did the little head bow when the cross came past us in the processional. And for the first time in all the years of attending these services, when I took communion, for the first time I was not taking it under the duress of knowing it could cause me to be fired. Baptists use grape juice, Episcopalians use wine. I had signed a deal saying I wouldn't drink while employed at church.








We thought we would then go to the Christmas Eve at First Baptist, but I knew I was pushing it if we did so.

This has been an easy-going Christmas day. Roy made brunch and it was delicious. We opened gifts after that. We have been lazy all afternoon, reading and watching TV. It has been great. Last year we began a Christmas tradition, guess it is a tradition if this is the second time we do this. We are going to have Chinese food later on this evening.

The Christmas messages I have heard this year have contained many similarities or a theme. Of course it's Christmas, there is going to be a theme. I have listened and I'm listening in even more so because of the mystery of all that happened in our Saviour's birth. The known by God becoming known to us. Things that looked bad are actually good and for us. Things we thought were under control have silently been taking a toll and a new, unknown journey and direction is ahead. I keep thinking and silently singing, God came down, here with us. I know He is here and with me.

While in the land of Sugar, I went to Whole Foods and discovered the Cara Cara orange. Oh my goodness, it is totally delicious! May have to buy a few more. Roy loves them as much as me.

Hope everyone has a peaceful and joyful end of Christmas Day. I keep thinking about the line in the Christmas song, "ox and ass before Him bow, as He is in the manger now." I sang that song a lot in parking lots and out on the streets of Houston. I'd sing it to the people who were acting and driving like oxes and asses. Guess that isn't really the meaning of the song, but it did make me smile as people made themselves biblical animals at Christmas.

3 comments:

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Enjoyed reading about your holiday...but then I enjoy all your post..

Ali said...

You're a great one for taking photos, you should consider this:

http://chemicalsblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/365-photo-project.html

As started by Gary McFlurry-Murray

Marty H said...

You are so funny - I don't think communion wine counts as drinking alcohol. If it does, I guess Johnny will be de-deac'd. He did the wafer dip thing so I guess that mitigates it - haha! Happy New Year!