Thursday, August 6, 2009

Adios Raoul

Today I said a sad goodbye to Raoul. It has been a while since our last meeting. Raoul was with me in some of the toughest moments of life several years ago. Yet, Raoul accompanied me in some of my most happy and memorable moments. Raoul is still tightly strung, strong and bears that scar on his neck from where he defended my honor. Even walking with Raoul to our last meeting felt so right, so light. That grip Raoul had on me seemed as natural to me today as it did when we first met. Back in our time together Raoul and I spent mornings and some afternoons together. There were a few night ventures from time to time, even some Saturdays together, but we mainly spent our time as partners during the day when Roy was at work. Raoul had to go, the same way as Roberto and Jorge. Sometimes one is attracted to new and exciting. Let's just say I set them free to spend time with another.


Raoul and I don't travel in the same social circles anymore, with him seeming so lost without me. Raoul had gone to a dark place. I on the other hand hadn't given him much thought the past few years. Raoul kind of stayed around hoping I would reconsider but I have moved on.


So today, we had our last few minutes together in my car. I thought of so many things and just for a small second, I contemplated reconsidering the decision I had made about him. The finality of Raoul's existence in my life. It wasn't fair to him to be in the back of my closest. He was made to be out on the court. Today, I gave Raoul to my friend Cris. You see, Raoul is my tennis racquet and I had promised him to her about a year ago, but we never could quite get together. It wasn't even a sad goodbye. It was more a happy hello between me and Cris. Raoul sat there beside her at lunch not doing much. Raoul listened to us laugh and chat. We never finished a complete subject or sentences sometimes. We had so much to catch up on. Cris also has Roberto in her home. Raoul has some happy times coming this fall.





OK, I had to have some fun doing this. I always named my racquets when I played tennis. I took lessons from a pro who always told me to caress the ball when I was working on drop shots. So I thought, with all this caressing talk, I am going to name my racquet a romantic and mysterious name.