Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Big Texas Hair



Don't you love this? Big Texas Hair located right off the ExxonMobil parking lot in Timpson Texas. If I hadn't been on a tight schedule, I just might of walked in and maybe would have walked out with a big hair do for the funeral. Stevie, stylist, and I have been letting my hair grow just a little bit longer. I do believe there might be enough hair on my head to rat and tease into some big Texas hair.

I stopped in Tenaha on the way home for some home grown tomatoes and peaches. Today for lunch I had a tomato sandwich on toasted rosemary bread. Delicious.

I am still on my cleaning jag. Today I am tackling the den. Roy has actually given me the go ahead to throw aways some stuff he has been hanging onto for years. Think we just might have another box or two for Half Price Books.

This morning I did my second workout of the week. The past few weeks I have had pitiful attendance at the gym. On Monday I was there early because I volunteered to take Roy to the office and then I would head out to the gym. This morning since he went to Bible study, I didn't have to get up at the crack of early to get to Lifetime but even after 9:00 am it is difficult to find a parking place. Not everyone parked in that garage is working out. Some office dwellers park in our designated parking. I was really tempted to write the word 'tow' on some of the dirty windows of cars. Would have, but there is probably cameras every where. So decided to just walk the extra distance. Isn't that funny, I want a close parking place so I can go workout. Of course I really want the close parking space for security reasons... :)

I read a review of the book The Principle of the Path, by Andy Stanley, on Monday morning. It was so convincing of a review, that I promptly went out and bought it. I had read all of it by Tuesday morning. Tuesday afternoon I began re-reading it with a different color pen to mark up what I missed the first time. This book has been that good and God is using it in getting my attention. Basically it comes down to this, "Direction-not intention-determines our destination. Here are a couple of key ideas from the book:

  • Embracing the principle of the path will empower you to identify the paths that lead to the destinations you desire, while avoiding regret
  • If you want to move in a certain direction, you have to choose the right path
  • The prudent react to what they see on the horizon
  • To find the path that will take you where you want to go, you must break the cycle of self-deception....this one chapter is a HUGE thought provoker
  • Choosing the right path begins with submitting to the One who knows what's best for you better than you know what's best for you
  • One never accomplishes the will of God by breaking the law of God, violating the principles of God, or ignoring the wisdom of God
  • You will never reach your full potential without tapping into the wisdom of others
  • What gets our attention determines our direction and, ultimately , our destination...another HUGE thought provoker
  • When it dawns on you that your dreams can't come true, the best response is to lean hard on the One who allowed your disappointment to occur

I've started and never finished other Andy Stanley books but this one... and what he is writing about is pure common sense and stuff we know. It is how he places the words and thoughts in this book that got my attention and a long look see into my life and past decisions that have taken me the wrong direction. Of course I have also pondered the good decisions I have made and where that path has taken me.

I'm probably very happy over not going into Big Texas Hair. Somehow in my mind's eye I see myself coming out of there looking like Vestal Goodman...big hair into a beehive. I would probably be singing, Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now or something equally Southern Gospel. Like to listen to it, not a good path to take to look like it.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I also like that the only 2 vehicles pictured are big Texas trucks!

Grami's girls said...

Tenaha and Timpson are like 15 miles from where I live. Holla next time!