Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Investment Tip-Need to get Another Funeral Dress

I simply must invest in another funeral dress. Since I wore my funeral dress a couple of years ago to Roy's father's funeral, I cannot wear that one again. Now I know people don't remember, or at least that's is what is always said, but if family looks at funeral pictures, they will notice I had on the same dress. After looking through my closest I finally found something, but my legs aren't tan from a can. Who cares, no one hopefully, will be looking at my legs. I'm lamenting I bought great black shoes and not brown shoes.


Why all this funeral talk? Roy's mother, Rosemary, passed away this morning. Roy was trying to get there before her passing, but he was in Dibol when he received the news. Now there is a whole lot of commentary I could say about hearing that news in Dibol, but I'll refrain. I will be going up there later. It is probably best for me health wise and family dynamic wise for me to go later. Besides, Roy is the executor of Rosemary's will and he has a lot of work ahead of him. He doesn't need me hanging over his shoulder asking if we could go do something else. I have been sending him emails and Facebook comments from y'all throughout the day. What an encouragement they have been to him and to me.


I will miss overhearing Roy's phone conversations with her. They talked every Sunday evening. The conversations ran the gamut, but mainly they talked of spiritual matters and politics. For several years, she was a prayer person for Guideposts Magazine. She would pray with people over the phone. She was so blessed in that ministry. She and Jack, Roy's father, were so close, I really thought she would wilt away after his death, but she blossomed and was very active in her church. Roy's mom was rather serious and most of you know, I tend to lean more to the humorous side of life. Many times our conversations went this way:

me: saying something funny
Rosemary: what?
me: oh I was just saying something funny
Rosemary: oh

Way back in the day, when Roy brought me home to Shreveport to meet the parents, I thought he had told them we were engaged. So, we do the meet and greet and I think it is all going very well when Rosemary looks at my hand and says, "you're engaged?" Talk about awkward! I looked at Roy, he shrugged his shoulders, said yes and that was about the extent of that.

Rosemary would have been 83 on Thursday. She is in heaven with her Lord and Savior. And I think she must be walking arm in arm with Jack since she really hasn't walked since January.


Buddy was getting a little nervous last night as I helped Roy pack. She was even a little more frantic this morning as I helped Roy out to the car with all his stuff. The last time she saw suitcases is when we went on vacation and when I went to the HHC. When I came back in she ran to me and greeted me. She stood on her hind legs and wrapped her front paws around my leg. I just wonder if she was being a copy cat. Roy and I were hugging each other so tightly as we prayed before he left. Hmm...I don't know. She has never done that before. She just did it again while I am blogging.


Well, I better get to doing some stuff around here. It's kind of touching that my mom just called. It took a long time for her to understand that Roy's mother had died. Some days our conversations flow along, not today. But, what I heard so loud and clear from my mom is this tonight, she's praying for me. She said you are on my mind all the time. Even if she doesn't remember telling me that tomorrow, I have those words tonight to hold near and dear to my heart.

2 comments:

Grami's girls said...

I will be praying for you, Roy and his family. Hang on to all the sweet things you can between you and your mother....becky

becky thurman said...

That is so neat about your phone call from your mom. So sweet... It almost made me cry......you all are definitely in my prayers. Hope your outfit turns out ok. You will look beautiful and stunning!!