Friday, August 28, 2009

Saying Goodbye to a Trusty Friend

I'm waiting on Roy to call. He is having some blood work done for a Dr appt in Sept. When he calls, I'll go pick him up and then we will go to lunch. Tomorrow I think we are saying goodbye to Old Blue. Blue has been our trusty truck for almost 20 years. She is on her last legs and we hope she has legs enough to get to the car dealership tomorrow. We bought a 2010 Camry to replace her. Of course the new car is blue. We have a thing for blue cars. Early on in our marriage we had silver, green, maroon and black cars, but oh the past 25 years or so, we seem to pick blue. Guess it is our compromise, I don't want a white car and Roy doesn't want a black one, so white and black make blue...or something. When we lived in the hood, Blue took a bullet for us. She wears the scar well.





Yesterday, I had a ton of things that needed to be taken care of. I even postponed lunch with a friend in order not to feel pressured. By 2:30 I had finished up most of everything and decided to get a little orange chicken from Fu's. Thought by that time I could be the only one there, but Fu's was still a happening place. The last time I was there by myself with a book, I overheard a conversation where during the conversation, this man found out he had just been given a huge promotion. He was happy and secretly, I was happy for him too. Yesterday, I sat across from an older woman who was interviewing a younger woman for a position selling Avon products. Who knew you had to be interviewed to work for Avon. Anyway, the older woman was trying to act "all that" and it was clear she wasn't. Her attempt at business casual or casual chic was clearly in need of a crisis make over. The young woman was in a dress that was very cute and she wore sensible black heels. The older woman had this way about her that was...I don't know swarmy and she didn't know the correct usage of don't and doesn't in conversation. When the older woman left the table to make a private phone call verifying all the girl's information, I wanted to go over to the girl and tell her to run. But you know, I was supposed to be reading my book. Older lady returns, all has checked out and she gives her some more instructions. Instead of offering to pay for the ice tea, the older lady makes the excuse of, well I have to go, there are customers waiting. There was this altruistic part of me that wanted to go up to the new Avon representative and ask to see this month's Avon product book and then proceed to order up all kinds of stuff. But I didn't, I thought the older lady would trump this girl. The young woman sat there for a bit, ordered lunch and then took most of it to go. We walked out about the same time and I watched to see what car the girl would get in but as she crossed the street to those somewhat run down apartments and I kind of thought that is what she would do. She walked like she was carrying some insurmountable weight.


Well, some time has gone by. Roy called and I picked him up. We had a great lunch at Lupe's and he still had room for a Dr Pepper Icee.

2 comments:

FitzandMolly said...

i haven't had time to comment lately, but just wanted to let you know that i've been keeping up with your blerg...

Anonymous said...

I love getting a new car! I just HATE shopping for them! Cars and cell phones are the two things that I tell Richard to "just go get it"!