Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Hitting the Liquor Cabinet and Tossing Back a Few... Down....the drain.

Since returning home from S'port I have been on a cleaning jag. Yesterday was the linen closet and today I am cleaning out some parts of the kitchen. I hit the liquor cabinet, no that doesn't sound right. Let me start over. OK, we have a cabinet in our kitchen that has some wine in it along with several various and odd liqueurs. Only I didn't remember having the liqueurs in there. I am trying to find out what the shelf life is on some of this stuff. I think it would be best to throw it out because most of them have price stickers on them. Ancient, antique booze. Although on cold days a little Bailey's in hot tea is pretty darn good. There is half a bottle of JB in there too. I kept that around for when my friend Pam (tennis friend) came around. I don't think Scotch goes bad if I remember my john Wayne movies from long ago. And I better keep it around for medicinal hot toddies if one had a bad cold. Ahhhhchooo... :)


In my cleaning quest, I also found some Williams Sonoma lavender detergent for laundry. They don't make it anymore and I had some stashed away on a cart I never look at except for the top shelf, which I believe top shelf is a kind of Margareta. Just going with the liquor theme. So I am very happy about that find, laundry detergent not...oh you know. Clothes have the fragrance of fresh and outdoors, hanging from the clothes line smell. Ah, I love it and will have to use it sparingly to make it last. OK, I have decided the Pecan Praline Cream Liqueur is going down the drain.

The kitchen is beginning to smell like a distillery. Hope second hand fumes don't affect me. The Bailey's was a solid mass, nothing to pour out. That went into the trash.

Roy said every drawer in his mom's house was stuffed with junk. Some drawers were downright difficult to get open. When we all start going through there and cleaning out and up, Roy says we will need to look through everything carefully. Roy has a tendency to stuff drawers just like his mom. It got his attention. He has always ignored me when I have asked him to go through his desk and bookcases to chunk, I mean sort through and dispose of if he stuff if he would be so inclined. Oh, I hope he is so inclined.


OK, next to go down the drain, Cooks Champagne. Then some other cheapie sparkling wine that was a gift many, many years ago. Why did I keep this? There was even a bottle of Peach Chardonnay complete with screw top. No cork to be found...down the drain. How did I get that?
There are a couple of bottles of Prosecco. May need to christen a boat or something, so I better keep those.


There was a day, back in the day, that all this kind of stuff had tremendous control over me. It was the thing to do most weekends and some week days. Man, Roy and I were running from God and drinking seemed to give us the sense He couldn't find us in and around that alcohol haze. Of course we were deceiving ourselves on so many levels. We were having drinks clearly as a way to network business contacts for Roy. Uh yea, right. No one needed that many drinks to network. Well, it did start out that way. For the first time in my Christian walk, I was being influenced, not being used as an influencer.


After a few years of this nonsense, God got our attention in a dramatic way and we ran as fast as we could back to Him. I'm so glad He did. I once told a friend my drinking days weren't so bad, I rather enjoyed them. I was a mushy, funny drunk. I never got a hangover. Didn't have an accident driving or sailing. Outwardly, things in life looked great, but inwardly I knew our life was not pleasing to God. He pulled us out of a pit! Today, as I have poured down the drain all this junk, it reminded me of a day when I couldn't part with all our liquor because I knew how much all that booze had cost. Even though we hadn't touched that cabinet for months, it pained me to think about money going down the drain. So God sent a friend who came over one day and began emptying it all down the sink. I'm so glad He did. I glad that God is in control and not Southern Comfort or Johnny Walker, red or black.

4 comments:

Ali said...

A little Baileys poured over icecream as a 'sauce' is very nice. So I'm told. Personally, I can't stand the stuff lol!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

So glad that you made it home safe. I wish we could have had a visit....hope you will let me know when you are going to be in Shreveport again.

Anonymous said...

I really love Williams Sonoma!! It is a real treasure trove of goodies. Unfortunately we don't have it this side of the Atlantic so every time we visit America the first Google search I do is to check if there is a store near to where we are staying!
Their Christmas Mulling Spices are a great hit with all my friends and family!

FitzandMolly said...

We have a boat. It's a Mastercraft ski boat with a Corvette engine in it. I'll let you christen it...