Wednesday, May 7, 2014

A Little Wednesday Time

The sky is a yellowish pinkish hue.  The grass is manicured perfectly.  The terrace is shaded and quite the popular hangout for those so wise and so crafty in pursuits.  I don't belong there.  I just want to read outside and not in direct sunlight.  The second hand smoke is a bit overwhelming and I believe I will fare better in the sun.  I sat for a bit more interested in Facebook than my book.  Eventually the sun won the battle of wills and again I headed for the terrace.  It's funny, the ones sitting out there all talked loudly whether because of advancing hard of hearing or just wanting to be heard so that others would be enamored with their tales of daring....which really wasn't that daring as them being tales of snobbery and know it alls.  It is difficult to be impressed with these loud exasperating stories when one is dressed casual dressy with a fanny pack adorning your outfit.  The lady next to me was engrossed with a book.  Her husband flitted back and forth from the terrace to the walking path.  Their words were not kind to each other but their actions masked the terrible words they spoke to one another.   In the midst of seething anger, they walk off together holding hands and arguing about where they will eat dinner.  The terrace is a gathering spot, where one first steps out to take in the beauty of the mountains and be moved by the grandeur of majestic trees.  More conversations most of them meaningless and then I hear conversation about me, alone, reading a book, and playing with my phone.  The man says, you've got to face it, how sad it must be to be alone, with a book in a beautiful place.  I looked at them but didn't say anything.  They don't know I was here last week and my beautiful and funny niece was with me and ours were days filled with fun and laughter.  They don't know that I like time away, by myself.  It is easy to keep me entertained.  I have been to new places and scouted out stores and the like when I will be back in the area this summer.  I have loved going to new towns and to towns or villes which seem to the norm in a name, that I have been to before.  No, you should not pity me out there sitting by myself listening to the dull pedestrian sound of people full of themselves.  No, I have a husband that loves me and loves me so much he asked if I would enjoy a second week at the Inn.  Yes and I have.  I can feel my heart turning a bit though.  I am looking forward to Friday when I will see him again.  I'm looking forward to celebrating Megan's great accomplishment of graduating from college...with no student loans and with a job in her field of art history.

I don't come here to be called Mrs. Monarch all the time.  I don't come here to put on airs or to demand.  Window breakfast tables are nice, but I'm blessed to be here and I am all too happy to let someone else have the view because their time here is short.  I don't come here to brag to friends back home but guess I do share too many pictures.  The quiet and the beauty draw me here.  I have thought at times is it the Biltmore experience that I love....and I do love it but deeper, there is something about this land and area of the country that speaks to my spirit.  Lord knows there are enough weirdos in Asheville, but it isn't Asheville that draws me.  It is the small and rural areas.

This morning I went back to the Folk Art Center and also made a quick stop in the Blue Ridge Visitor Center.  Then it was a stop at the grocery store to buy Roy some Diet CheerWine.  I headed back to the estate.  I went to the Mercantile and bought grits and then took some more pictures in the farm area.  I then drove over to the lagoon and much to my delight watched the grown up geese teach those young goslings how to follow and then come up to the shore and onto dry land.  I took a million pictures it was such a beautiful sight.  I've kept a watch of the mother goose...tee hee...that has been sitting on her nest since Erin and I arrived.  She was sound asleep on that nest but hubby was near by keeping watch over her and the eggs.  I don't think too many have noticed her but I think it is a special gift from God.  I would still like to see a black bear here but from a distance and not a bear that turns out to be a huge stump.  Happens when one doesn't take her meds on time.  I drove by the little lambs on the hillside.  I think they have taken a bunch of the sheep over to the other side of the estate where most of the cows and sheep are kept.

It's funny how much around here changes week to week.  The tulips were beautiful when we arrived but when we finally were able to walk through the gardens, the tulips were just about done.  The azaleas are still beautiful but the color is beginning to wane.  People come and people go.   One thing that does not change are some people's behaviors.  At the front desk is a basket of apples.  You are free to pick one up and go but some people stand there and put more than several apples in their tote bags.  You see little old ladies sneaking out boxes of cereal in their purses.  We all love the body lotion here and there are mornings you put away the lotion to get another bottle but one tries not to be greedy.

This trip has been good for me.  I cannot tell you how much better I feel.  Even though I have posted a lot of food pics on FB, I have enjoyed walking purposely and still with pain but heck I'm not dealing with lightheadedness or being dizzy.  Even that little bump of a phone call last Friday did not put me into a stress mode.  I also am thankful for a sister in law, who just happens to be a nurse, who helped the tide turn health wise for me last week.  My numbers have been down since then.  I still have my non nap taking record going but I might break it this afternoon.

No comments: