Monday, May 12, 2014

Back to Real Life in Rancho De Five

Back to real life in Rancho De Five.  These past two weeks were fabulous!  Biltmore and then on Friday I drove to Memphis to celebrate Megan graduating from college.  Since I am not too familiar with Memphis and at the time we thought my father might be attending, I made reservations at a hotel in Germantown which is 20 minutes away from everywhere we needed to be.  Checked in and waited for Roy's flight to arrive.  Because of weather delays, he finally got to the hotel around 10:30.  When I first arrived a whole big family of people wearing knits, that should never wear knit checked in right before me and hogged the luggage carts forever.  Then next door and across the hall we had rooms full of jr high school boys playing in a baseball tournament.  Lots of door slamming.  That's ok, I knew when we left on Sunday morning EARLY, we could slam the door a few times and thus disturb their slumber.  I rested and then Nancy and Erin came over bringing me some Chicky.  Since we were in a "suite" we had a couch and chair, so we ate our dinners and then gave Nancy her most thoughtful gift of hotel toiletries.  Hey, they are from the Biltmore...then we gave her the real gift, a widow's mite necklace. Truthfully, I think she liked it all. 

The Holiday Inn Express is off a cul de sac with not too much around it.  Roy took a taxi from the airport and he was getting a little nervous when the driver pulled in and all you can see for a bit is an open field.  The front desk called me to let me know Roy was on his way.  He was nervous he might not be at the right place and didn't want to knock on a stranger's door.  I missed him and was so happy to see him. 

It was a short night because we needed to get up early to get to Rhodes College for Megan's graduation.  We were able to find a parking spot and save seats for everyone.  The graduation is held in Fisher Gardens on the campus and it was a beautiful place.  Rhodes must be near the airport because several flights flew overhead. 
 Beautiful ceremony with classical music and the bell in the tower being rung.  And no speaker!!!  Roy was able to take a few pics of Megan and after she walked across the stage, he went around and took pictures of the campus.  Truthfully, he has a short attention span when he just sits worse than mine.  He got some beautiful pictures. 
 After the ceremony, they stuck around but Roy and I left.  My stamina for heat was about at the limit and Roy was so tired from the day before.  We found a place called Charley's and had lunch.  Then I took a two hour nap, but I think draft day kept Roy awake and focused on what the Texans might do. 

We met everyone at The Majestic Grill in downtown Memphis.  Beautiful place and I guess we didn't know that trolleys run throughout the area.  Roy was frustrated because he did not have his good camera with him but he took some great pictures. 


 
 
We had such a fun day with everyone and loved that we were able to come and celebrate this huge event. 
 
 
Roy and I left around 6:00 am to get on the road back home.  We talked so much of how fun Saturday was and how fun it was to spend time with the girls.  Erin and I are already talking of a return to The Inn and we are so hopeful that Megan's schedule will work out so that she can go back with us.  

No comments: