Thursday, May 8, 2014

Wrapping Up This Portion of The Trip

I did something last night that I usually only do on trips that I do when I can't wait to get home, gathered my stuff together in a little bit of order and packed my suitcase.  Sure, I miss home and I miss Roy and Buddy but I love this slice of heaven here on earth.  So instead of putting the inevitable off, I took care of things in order to fully enjoy the day and do some last minute look through the shops near the house.  Maybe one last stop at Cedreck's for some pretzel bread with monk mustard butter.  It also helps that I don't have to get on the road as early since I'm driving over to Memphis and I will get back an hour.   This morning I am getting a much needed pedicure.  I had planned to get one before leaving on this trip but my schedule did not allow it.  Roy said he was going to tell Lisa, the lady who does our toes, and I told him vacation pedicures are allowed, that is not cheating.

This morning at breakfast I met two ladies from Ohio.  They sat at a table nearby and one of them asked about my book Sacred Pauses and these two ladies are believers.  Such joy when that happens on a trip.  They are cramming everything in one day and it made me think if I have done everything on my list and I will have to say, I have.  This time away couldn't have been better timed and I think I've recovered and gained health that I wouldn't necessarily gain at home.  The temps here certainly benefit my heart and whatever stresses I'm dealing with, don't seem as big and fearful here as they do at home.   I've not been bored anytime.  I hadn't planned on eating dinner last night but that hungry sensation began and there were plenty of tables in the library to chose from.  Turn down service was late last night, so I put the privacy please out on the door and spent the evening gathering and packing and texting and snap chatting.  Then I sat down to read and I just might be able to finish my book, A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald.

It is afternoon and I finished my book.  A very interesting read.  I got a pedicure at the spa.  It seemed kind of strange not to be getting one from a Vietnamese woman.  They use environmentally safe polish.  It's nice but give me the chemically laced polish.  It dries faster but the color is a beautiful sparkling turquoise, so I am very happy with that.  My plans had been to go to Antler Hill Village and I may still do that but I found what I needed downstairs and bonus, I had a couple of 25% off coupons.  Riding the shuttle today just doesn't appeal to me.  It's just today, maybe because it is my last full day here or that there have been too many close calls with fanny pack wearing grannies.  It seems to be all the rage this week.  I'm thinking one last salad and pretzel bread and then packing it in for the night and moving onto Memphis tomorrow.  I 40 from Nashville to Memphis is rather boring but the thought of celebrating Megan's big day will more than make up for the mundane scenery.  I will be very happy to see Roy tomorrow evening.

This has been a refreshing trip.  I loved spending time with Erin and of course I loved sharing this with her.  I have loved having the time alone to think and write and pray.  It's a luxury being able to sleep all the way through the night but I miss Buddy and her coming and going and finally settling in on my arm.   I feel like I am coming away with much to savor and much to plan toward when I return to the area.  In a way that might be even more freeing since there isn't adjusting schedules around room cleaning and turndown service, but the people watching won't be as good.

I think it is time for me to take one last walk about the Inn both inside and out.  Lunching on the veranda might be the end but I think the pretzel bread is calling out louder than the stunning views and rocking chairs and yes even the cheese plate.

No comments: