Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Don't Turn Down Carrot Casserole

If you are ever in North Carolina and you see carrot casserole or strawberry cobbler on the menu, do yourself a huge favor and order them.  I was a return customer to The Moose Cafe today.  I went to Waynesville and Bryson City this morning and decided I needed to stop in again at The Moose Cafe for a late lunch.  Today I went for the veggie plate and for the record had my first homegrown tomato of the season.  Yum!  One of the veggies I could order was carrot casserole, made with Ritz Crackers and who knows what else but it was excellent!  I also ordered pinto beans and shoe peg corn salad.  It was another must today to try the blackberry cobbler since I had tried the strawberry yesterday.  The cobbler and vanilla bean ice cream did not disappoint.  When I paid I was helped by the manager Dorthy.  She and I had a lovely chat.  In the parking lot the horses of the State Troopers of NC were in trailers as their troopers ate lunch in The Moose.  I got some great pictures and one horse especially was animated and wanted me to come near.  Since I didn't have an apple or carrot, I chose not to get too close.

The Inn is filled with old people, present company excluded.  The fanny pack is all the rage in the lobby, at breakfast and on the shuttle.  After eating at The Moose Cafe I can now understand the reason that almost every pair of pants I have looked at in stores is elastic waisted.  Even in the younger depts.  Wow!  Anyway, it was rather memaw and papaw this morning every where I turned.  The market on double knit has been cornered here too.  Since I can still claim to be in my 50's I wore the denim and linen look.

This morning I made my way back to Waynesville.  I window shopped my way down the street until I got to Mast General Store.  I love this place.  I found a couple of items that needed to make their way home with me.  Karen, the new girl, helped me in the shoe dept and we had a blast making each other laugh.  She has a great sense of humor.  Then I drove over to Bryson City to go to The Charles Heath Gallery and on my third trip there I finally got to meet the artist Charles.  What a treasure he is.  I was looking for a particular 5x7 and since it is a photograph, not a painting, he was able to make me several card sized copies.  Great discussion and I am more grateful for his work that hangs in our home.  I stopped in at the local bakery for a chocolate chip cookie for later and over to the bookstore to look at regional authors.  It was close to 2:00 and that is when I decided that a stop at The Moose Cafe should be in order.

The colors of the trees in spring are of Monetesqe quality.  It is hard to count all the different shades of green.  The dogwood trees are in bloom and the wildflowers are starting to bloom.  The azealeas here are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen, especially the coral and orange colors.   The fragrance of flowers and grass permiates the air.  I love it but I have to admit I don't suffer from allergies.

It is almost time for turndown service so I am going outside to read and maybe do some walking so I won't feel so stuffed and you know burn calories.  Although I do have it on good authority when you are at a higher level than fifty feet above sea level, you burn calories quicker because of the thin air.  Sounds good to me.  I taking it as gospe.

No comments: