Friday, May 16, 2014

Friday Ramblings

Oh beautiful morning filled with sunshine.  The birds are waiting for me to fill the feeder.  I love that I think I have a third generation of mockingbird nearby.  I'm such a nerd because in Bryson City I bought a book, Birds of Western North Carolina to have with me this summer.  The robins and cardinals were abundantly represented the two weeks I was in Asheville. 

I am so thankful for a dentist who truly cares and isn't just trying to add on loads of services just to make money.  Her office called me yesterday to let me know I needed to go back to my oral surgeon to get the abutment installed.  They called his office to make arrangements to get the other parts that she will need and I was totally surprised when she called back.  Carol told me I am going to do your abutment and the rep from the company that makes the implant will be here because we are going to have to do a custom abutment.  The way the oral surgeon put in the foundational parts for this tooth is closer to the front of my gum and since he was planning on putting in the standard abutment, half of me would look like a vampire.  That's when Carol decided she would do it and do it so it fits in with the rest of my teeth and mouth.  She is who you want your dentist to be.  And I will also mention she is a darn good shortstop although her softball days, like mine, are far behind me. 

People think that now  since we live in Katy I see Peggy all the time.  Nope, so we made plans to have dinner together last night at the happening Rancho De Five Luby's and be able to get the LuAnn at senior discount prices before 5:30.  Such fun catching up and filling each other in with the latest and greatest in our lives.  After dinner, I ran over to Target to pick up a couple of things I forgot to get on Thursday.  I was marveling at the fact that there are far less minivans in the evening than during the day and I blame what happened next on the phenomenon in the absence of minivans.  I found a parking spot and walked into Target.  Oh my goodness!  In the two weeks I had been gone they had totally rearranged the store.  Slowly it came to me, I didn't go in my regular way, I was at the opposite set of doors, the doors I rarely enter through.  I saw the same old Target with a new set of eyes.  I was living the adventure when I decided to start on the left side of the store instead of my usual right start.  You know, I am always mixing it up.  (That's supposed to culturally relevant talk, not the fact I mix things up all the time)   I went over to Home Goods and they are rearranging the store.  Just went in for a quick look see and I was out to make one last store, Hobby Lobby.  I am surprised I got into the store because it was a few minutes before 8:00 pm.  Who knew, apparently a lot of us because they were turning people away as I was in line to pay, that Hobby Lobby closes at 8:00 pm?  I knew exactly what I was looking for so as the announcement came that the store was now closed and for us to please make our way up front to pay for our purchases.  One aisle to go to pick up the paper I had come to buy and as I made my way to the front of the store I noticed all kind of people sauntering and languidly looking at stuff.  Hey, Hobby Lobby means business cause at 8:03 the announcement was, the store has now been closed for three minutes, they dimmed the lights and turned off the A/C. Most stores give you to the five minute mark.  By this time I was paying and ready to leave.  As a child I had an irrational fear of being locked up at night in a store.  Well, it really wasn't irrational because I know where that fear began and who planted that fear seed.   I kind of got tickled at the fact that Hobby Lobby is a little more legalistic at closing time and not so grace filled but I totally understand why after working retail early on in life.  People will browse to their hearts content if you let them at closing time. 

The Deep South summer reading list came out yesterday.  I knew not to look.  Good grief, I have books here unread from the Deep South summer reading list of 2013.  I ordered pre-sale books that come out this summer and didn't order anything that has already been released.  I started and finished the novelized account of Zelda Fitzgerald.  It was a good read and gave me a few new insights to her mental health. 

Speaking of mental health, I better move on and finish up a couple of things.  They say when you are not surrounded by clutter, you are mentally healthy.  I don't know who 'they' are but it sounds good.   

No comments: