Monday, July 23, 2007

Fun, Frustrations and Other Assorted Things



This good news welcomed me today in the mail...Fun is now a core value in the business world. Can you imagine my delight and happiness in seeing this headline. I have skimmed the article and seriously thinking about getting my resume updated and going to work for a company that has...can you believe it, NAP ROOMS! There is cubicle volleyball, all types of fun to help the work day go by quickly. My great hope is that fun will soon come to the church work world. Churches are notorious for taking the business strategy and transforming it into the church world, well they don't take everything just the stuff that fits into the church world's mindset. My pet peeve as most of you know is the mission statement and everyone jumped on that one, not unlike the prayer of Jabez that was the hot thing before Joel Osteen's, "Your Best Life Now!" or "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. It is sad that as Christians we are always waiting for the next big thing when we have the best thing, The Bible in our hands.

My mom called me today. She asked me if I had a convection oven... Nope, don't have one. I have an oven that came with the stove that we use maybe twice a year and a microwave which is used daily. Seems that my parents have bought a new convection oven and after getting it home decided they liked their old one better. So here is the great news, their not wanted new convection oven has now become my birthday gift. Oh boy... usually they get me a Nord gift card, no not this year, an oven...that will collect dust and we probably will never use. They are not even re-gifting...they are giving out of what they don't want or maybe they bought it from a store with a strict return policy. All I know is this, I got an oven! Happy Birthday. I might feel differently if I had received an Easy Bake Oven when I was little. Maybe that is why I don't cook today. This kind of gift is nothing new to me, I have received these kind of gifts before from them, but it has been a while.

I have to go back to Eddie Bauers. They left a security tag on my $9.00 sweater. Dang it!

Sometimes at lunch we sit at the tables in front of the bookstore window that has Pastor Gregg, Eulalia King and Beth Moore posters on the window. So, we always feel like we have been joined by three of the best at lunch. Today, we sadly noted that Beth is no longer there reminding us to Get Out of the Pit. Guess, she has made other lunch plans. We are not too sure of the new poster that has replaced her.

After the 12 hour mall marathon on Friday, I am happy to report I didn't go back to The Galleria for the rest of the weekend. Roy and I went out to dinner on Saturday evening and ran a few errands of his. I took the time on Saturday to read and I really enjoyed that time.

Sunday was church and a long nap on Sunday afternoon. In the class I attend right now, the teacher is teaching on the I Am statements of Jesus in the book of John. We did some cross referencing and looked at Gideon and how God told him, He is the God of Shalom, peace. I re-read Judges 6 yesterday and love how God was so personal with Gideon, in his calling and patient in helping him become that mighty man of valor. When it came time to sneak into the Midionites camp, God told Gideon he would hear something that would give him great courage, but if he didn't want to go to the camp alone, he could take his friend. I love how God validates us and gives us friends to walk in some of the toughest situations of life. God knows we need friends to walk in our calling and He generously gives them to us to help bear the load or when we struggle with being brave.

We were talking about our love languages today. I think one of the funniest comments I have read is, sarcasm is my love language. Thank you Laurie for that funny. With personality traits, spiritual gifts, natural talents, the combination to my locker (just kidding, but there was a day that struck fear in me. Still does in my dreams...you know you are in high school, you can't find your class and don't remember your locker combination. I wonder why I don't dream about college?) and any and all spiritual things I am supposed to remember, I never can remember my love language. I think mine has to do with words, affirmations or something. Guess that means I love to get cards in the mail. My other one is quality time or gifts... Guess I should re-read the book.

Well, Roy just called. He is on his way home. Since I am eating out Tuesday and Wednesday I didn't do my usual Rice Epicurean prepared food run. Looks like a scrambled eggs kind of night. Oh darn, if I only had that convection oven...

7 comments:

Dana said...

Beth was replaced by Webkins. They aren't telling us to do anything but buy them. I prefer Beth.

Once when we were buying a washer, we were waiting for the paper work, so we asked the salesman what exactly is a convection oven? His answer, it cooks better. Wow. Better than who? I asked. He said better than before. Oh. I considered myself schooled and realized that is why he is the stove salesmen and NOT me.

Anonymous said...

Wow! An oven! That's about as exciting as the control part (for big air systems in buildings) that I got for Christmas one year! Lunch is always one of the best parts of the day - you just never know what will be discussed!
Thanks for the laughter, friend and friends!
LMS

Anonymous said...

Yes, we at the bookstore control
what you look at....ha,ha,ha....
you will buy what we tell you to!!!
lol....
oeg...soon to be oag....

Anonymous said...

I think we should have "The Spazmatics" perform for the staff! Woo Hoo! And the thought of cubicle volleyball is depressing...since I have an office and would not be able to participate! LOL

The Synnott's said...

i have this just to say.... NAP ROOMS!!!

FitzandMolly said...

we totally have breakfast for dinner at my house. it's one of my favs. and i think everyone should have fun as their core value.

Michelle said...

If "fun" is the new core value...should it be labeled a core value? That immediatly takes the fun out of it!!
Remember when we had 700 bizillion meetings on core values and everyone had a different idea on what that meant? It was those meetings that I literally was day dreaming and caught myself in another world many times! (Don't tell Jason!) I think I was not cut out for that stuff! :)