Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Tuesday Thoughts

I was asked the other day if it is difficult to work and worship at the same church. Sometimes it is. There are times when the two are so intertwined and yet there are times I can totally immerse myself in the community of believers and completely forget I have an office on the second floor.

Yesterday I received a call from a member who probably considers herself a friend to me. In my world she is a casual acquaintance. She called to inquire about changing rooms for a particular class she is involved with. That request in itself is not bad, but she is one of those people who will try to work you and wear you down until she gets what she called about. She is also one of those type of people who doesn't have anything positive to say...ever...about anything...unless it is about her. I once told her I would probably be a more sympathetic ear if she ever just once said something was being done right at church. She began her pitch, I listened and then told her I really didn't have anything to do with what she was requesting, that there are procedures and org charts and she was completely out of my branch of the chart. Didn't daunt her one bit, she just kept on over and over saying the same thing just a little bit different. HELLO! How many personality or spiritual gifts test does one have to take before realizing the questions are almost all the same...just slightly different wording. I was like the tree standing by the water, I shall not be moved. So, that line didn't change anything, so she proceeded to tell me that doing other people's work got her continually promoted at her job. Rest assured I told her, I am not looking for a promotion. I just read you should dress for the job you would like to have. The fact that I have been buying lots of pajamas, casual workout clothes and tennis shoes should tell you that maybe the job I am looking for is NO JOB! I finally convinced her that she needed to talk to the staff person who could hear her cry and maybe do something about it. She was not happy and to tell you the truth I felt bad making her call the staff person cause he is a friend of mine.

CourtneyS and I were able to beverate and grab a tasty beverage in the Garden Cafe. We had a nice visit. I miss CourtneyS being full time.

Yesterday, CM came up to church one last time to pack up the last of his things. We had a short but good visit. It is so eerily quiet in the halls...no CM laughing. The Kingdom Kids staff is at camp. Pastor on sabbatical...well, he is kind of quiet...the music suite pianissimo.

Lisa P came by and we went to lunch at The Ashland House. The last time we were there I think the convention of the halt and lame were there. I have never seen so many walkers, slow walkers, wheelchairs and the infirmed at one place outside of a hospital. There were so many Lincolns Town cars in the parking lot, that it looked like a Lincoln Mercury dealership. It was not that way today...nice mix of old and young. We were also to the side of the place and not in the direct vision of the front door. The halt and lame could have been there but we were too busy laughing and being friends. I had the vegetable plate and I don't think I left a veggie there to tell a tale.

I think Peggy is running a bed and breakfast this summer. Every time I talk with her a new group has arrived and she is the cruise director of fun. Carolyn told me that Peggy looked really tired on Sunday morning. I told her you would too if you had entertained guests all summer long. Now Peggy enjoys that but I think she needs a nap. No napping until after Sunday though. We will be in Birmingham doing M&G.

Dena is in Orlando but I don't know if she is getting to spend anytime with Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy. It is a "work" conference. She could see the fireworks from the Magic Kingdom from her room last night. What a totally great bonus.

I am tired of being given slogans to live my life. When I played softball I began to notice when we would yell out encouragement to the batter the encouragement was three words or less;
hit yours, now you're ready, make em work, you're due... When I played softball as a grown woman we were encouraged to do cheers. I have never seen anyone make Little Leaguers much less minor leaguers in the men's game ever do a cheer. I cannot see men yelling, " Our team is red hot, once we start we cannot stop!" I thought it was silly and my least favorite cheer was, "you got to want it to win it and we want it more!" But I digress.... When we are asked to live our lives by slogans, we have stopped living life to the fullest. I once heard some kids interviewed on a radio show. The host talked to them about school and education. It was if these kids have been programed to answer every question with this answer, "I just want a good education." If the host went too much deeper in how they could have a good education, the kids responded a little more empathetically, "I want to get a good education." Then the sponsor of the group told the host they were having a parade about getting a good education. The host took that info and tried to tie the parade with good education. The sponsors got mad and replied we told you the answer...we are having a parade to support getting a good education. Roy and I heard the interview and could not believe it. Now when we think someone is fibbing to us or giving us a line of bull, we say they are just having a parade. Not that any of this is going to make sense, but when we are asked to parrot slogans and there is not a depth of understanding, we are just having a parade because sometimes we get confused and think by having a parade about good education, that is all we have to do to get a good education. Just some stuff I am thinking about.

I felt like I have been so serious in my last few posts, but we all need to know that everybody doesn't have the fairy tale life. That life and relationship can be difficult. We shouldn't cut people off and say, I'm done! I also don't want to give the impression that Roy and I have been unhappy for years...not the case, the stories I have told you came in our first few years of married life.

Well, this is all. I better go check on the Astros....what am I saying , I need to keep going over lines for this weekend.

3 comments:

FitzandMolly said...

seriously? promoted by doing other people's work?? she's gotta be jerking your chain...i thought you were dressed quite nicely for your job today. you looked lervely, and yet snazzy, and also just the right amount of comfortable.

Dana said...

Hey, you and I must be shopping for the same job! I think I will do your work and that way I will get a promotion at NO JOB...

:)

Lisa Pierre said...

The slogan I have been tired of lately is "Wait For It."