Saturday, July 14, 2007

Once Upon a Time, a Long Time Ago



Once upon at time, a long time ago my dad and mom bought a stereo consul system. It was huge and was actually a piece of furniture. One side pulled out for the radio and the other side slid out for the record player. On the bottom of the cabinet there was a place to store albums and the other side was the speaker. We still lived in the burbs of Chicago when I received this album. I remember when my dad brought home three albums, this one for me, The Four Aces for my mom and an album of jazz for him. Along with my mom's 78 rpm records I entertained myself. When I was finally old enough to get my own record player, I probably felt I was too old to listen to this album full of nursery rhymes, but I have hung onto this all these years. So when I was taking in the Church of the Redeemer albums to convert to CD's I took this one along as well. I have enjoyed listening to these old songs and am amazed at the amount of orchestration and singers that went into these songs. You can hear the harmony in the modulations. I told CourtneyS I would give her the other copy I received. I will let her do a review and if there are any other moms out there, that I know personally, I would be happy to burn a CD for you and yours. It could just be I am nostalgic over this and it really isn't all that good. The TOPS recordings were a $1.49 when all other albums sold for $1.99. I found that out when I googled the title. In fact, I am getting ready to send some pictures of the album to a man that has all the TOPS recordings in a discography and he lacked the picture of this particular album.

Thanks for letting me take a little journey down memory lane. I am off to sing Do You Know the Muffin Man and Chicken-Licken.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

First of all, I thought your comment was hilarious. I have honestly no idea why that day I got so many comments. Second, I loved reading this post! I feel that way about the CDs I listened to early in college when I was returning to the Lord. Also, I found Psalty the Singing Songbook tapes on CD about 5 years ago and it gave me SO MUCH JOY! I can just imagine how fun it is for you to have those beloved records on CD now. I love that Susan and my LPM sisters. I wish I could have been there with y'all!