Sunday, January 6, 2008

January 6, Winter, Feels like Spring, Looks like Fall

It is winter, but it feels like spring, but finally looks like fall. Only those who are former Houstonians or presently live in Houston can understand this phenomenon. Many trees are a beautiful hue of red tones. This is a tree near the Play grocery store of which I just came from.


I am gearing up for tomorrow. Roy woke me up at 6:00 am this morning. Ugh, I didn't need to be awake until 7:00. I have already had several stop me in the hall this morning with things that need to be taken care of this week. Welcome back!


But there is encouragement in this January 1 devotion taken from the book 'Praying the Psalms' by Eugene Peterson. I used this book last year too, but only read the introduction this past week. I LOVE the book cause the devos are short and jam packed with truth. This is what I read the other day, "The brevity of the daily entries is not offered as a quick and convenient way to pay off a social obligation (to God)." It is like the book offers that these prayers are an entrance to the Psalm and we are invited to make our home in that Psalm and take in the truth. Eugene Peterson recommends you do this book with another person, so that they are praying and you are praying the Psalms for each other.


So January 1 is titled 'Happy are Those' and of course it is Psalm 1. "The "tree" person has roots deep in God's ways: he or she delights in them and meditates on them. The "chaff" person won't be entangled in such earthly permanence: too limiting, this person would probably say." Got to love the tree person. Tree people are happy in the results of running in the way of God's commandments.


I have thought a lot about Psalm 1 since day 1, 2008. I am settling into this Psalm and haven't gotten past this day. The productive side of me says, you are days behind already. The laid back side of me resounds with...meditating in God's Word day and night, being like a tree bringing forth fruit in season., no withering leafs and prospering in God's delight and will. The laid back side of me is winning on this one.


Also, thought I would update you on my little tree. I had planned to take a picture of it with a Christmas ornament on it, kind of like being a Charlie Brown tree. But the little tree isn't growing as quickly as it did. Don't get me wrong, it is hanging in there. It may be confused along with the other trees that are shedding leaves and the azalea bushes that are already blooming.


Don't forget the drawing for The SPA Nord card is tomorrow. If you haven't commented saying you would like your name in the drawing, go to Traditions and comment.

4 comments:

The Synnott's said...

no oozing as of yet but i think of you daily when i check....

oh that sounds so bad... love it

Anonymous said...

This weather is causing all kinds of headaches...when Richard and Chase returned from Breckenridge last night - their poor bodies went into shock when they hit Houston...I mean, it was -18 in Breckenridge...! :)

Dana said...

Isn't it awful? I want the 30's & 40's again. NOT the 70's in January.

Gah!

Lisa Pierre said...

This cracks me up! The picture, that is.