Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Giddy Up, Eunice

Sophie Hudson's new book Giddy Up, Eunice has been released. Treat yourself to this fabulous read. You won't be disappointed. I first heard of Sophie, Boomama, at a Living Proof Live event in San Antonio Texas August 2008. There was a special bloggers met up after the conference. Once while traveling through Mississippi I tweeted a greeting to her since I was in Hattiesburg, home of Southern Mississippi University....only, she was so kind to point out she went to Mississippi State University. As for me and my house we root for LSU, hubby an alumni, and Sophie loves her some Les Miles interviews. I read her first book and enjoyed it and I am so happy to have now read her second book, Giddy Up, Eunice and I am two for two on the enjoyment scale of reading her books.

In the book we look at the lives of Elizabeth, Mary, Ruth, Naomi, Lois and Eunice. "Six women who show us how to honor, how to persevere, how to cling, how to glean, how to partner and how to pass it on." Page 235 of Giddy Up, Eunice. The emphasis of the book is we need each other, across the generational lines...in all ages and stages of life. Sophie gives excellent advice on how to find, or be a mentor. That it is doing the small everyday things well. Like she says sometimes we think that mentoring is such a production when women are right in front of our eyes, helping and showing the way or who need a little encouragement and kindness. She also encourages us oldies but goodies not to be afraid of the millennial generation and become involved.

My personal favorite chapters are the ones about Naomi and Ruth. Wow, so much in there to meditate and think about...and act upon. I also think I will never forget her story of the cast iron sink and if she ever succeeds in procuring it for her kitchen, I hope she lets us know.

This would be a great book for small groups, friends, Sunday School classes or whatever relevant term your church uses for old fashioned Sunday School. If your church doesn't have a formal mentoring ministry, this book would be so helpful to help get one started.

No comments: