Sunday, June 5, 2016

You Will Love This Book, Giddy Up, Eunice

My friend Brenda and I ate lunch in downtown Weaverville, NC yesterday. She being a native and raised in the area knew that if there wasn't any parking on the street by the restaurant, there was a back parking lot where we could park. If I had gone by myself, I would have never noticed the parking lot and would have only acknowledged that for a little town, with an ever smaller downtown, parking seemed to come at a premium. Also, I drive a huge truck and parallel parking SequishShawn would draw a crowd at first to gawk but then have the opportunity of the day for a laughfest because it ain't pretty when I try to park this crew cab truck. After enjoying a delicious lunch we walked back to Brenda's car and the whole side of the secret parking lot had been cleared of cars and tables, tents, chairs and serving counter had replaced them. We asked what are y'all setting up for and  the two young women responded that the coffee place, next door to the restaurant, is celebrating nine years in business and that evening they were throwing a party. At that moment I pulled out my best old lady voice, stooped over a bit, gave it a little bit of a palsy shake and said, "oh my, I am sure all the young people will enjoy this!" She assured me everyone was invited. I had said that because sometimes you have to act all old up in here to keep it real and to let the young people know there are some happy, non gripers in the old person set. I also told them you know you are old when you throw out the term young people when referring to anyone ten years younger or more than your present age. I will be 62 this summer thank you very much.

So, why did I tell you this story when I am blogging about a book? Because, when I filled out the form to participate in reading, then blogging about the advance copy of the book and as soon as I hit send, I told myself they are not going to pick me because my age demographic is wrong, I don't have enough readers of my blog to qualify, I hardly ever Tweet and I think I thought it again, I am too old to be picked to read and blog about this book. Not sure but I think I thought that more than twice, cause I don't remember....see what happens when one ages. Imagine my surprise when the book showed up in our mailbox. You see, for some reason I thought Giddy Up, Eunice was going to be Sophie Hudson's first foray into fiction because isn't that a great title for a Southern mystery series but I was oh so wrong. Giddy Up, Eunice Because Women Need Each Other is a book filled with wonderfully told stories of  Mary, Elizabeth, Lois, Eunice, Ruth and Naomi...with modern day references that every woman, no matter what age or stage in life, can identify with. (I've read it is now acceptable to end sentences with prepositions)

Giddy Up, Eunice is encouraging, poignant, truth-filled, and full of opportunities to laugh, hard, maybe even to the point of some happy tears and then on to wheezing laughter. But wait there is more, I think the chapter on gleaning is one of the best things I have read on how we sometimes find ourselves doing life with one another, that it truly is the little things...  You'll have to buy the book to experience this chapter but I will use a quote Sophie used from her dear nineteenth century friend Mary Elizabeth Baxter:

"Ruth did not assume to be a reaper, but ONLY A GLEANER. There are some prominent workers in the harvest field who sweep hundreds into the fold. But there are also patient gleaners who teach in Sunday schools, who visit from house to house, who write letters to their acquaintances, who speak a word to those they travel with by the way. God bless these precious gleaners. They gather many an ear of corn which reapers pass by (emphasis mine)"...which means it is Sophie's emphases...I'm just a quoter here.

I went back to read the short book of Ruth again and agreed with Sophie that the whole lying at the feet of Boaz seems to be an awkward thing but Boaz knew what to do and what to say. I love the suggestion that we totally underestimate the power of gleaning...again you are going to have to buy the book to see the whole and total picture. No spoilers here because Ruth and Naomi and Ruth and Boaz turns out well.

Giddy Up, Eunice has been my waiting room book, hair salon and restaurant read for several weeks now and at almost everyplace I have been reading it, someone comments on how cute the paisley on the front of the book is. I agree but more importantly, it has given the opportunity to share if you love the cover, you will love the words and truth inside the cover to the women who have commented.

I think I will stop this post for now and do a part 2 later this weekend. While reading this book I can see how it could be used for a small group study or for a series in a Sunday School class. It is a great book for book clubs and I can totally see reading this book with friends and then getting together to discuss it in an informal setting like over coffee or lunch or dessert or all three.








No comments: