Thursday, June 7, 2007

A Little Tree Grows

I knew when I got home yesterday I should have taken a picture of this small oak sapling that grows underneath the wooden fence in front of my parking space. By this morning the landscaping crew had cut it down. I'm not too sad about it because it won't be too long and I will see it sprout again. I have been watching this little oak sapling for several years grow and get cut down. It's not a bad little tree, it just happens to be planted where it will never get to grow to full height. That little tree's presence and determination gives me hope. I watch it begin the whole cycle over and over because on the other side of the fence the hedge surrounding it chokes out all the sunlight. So that determined tree grows to the light and come to our side of the fence for life. Sometimes I wish I could speak to that tree and that it would understand me. I want to tell it, you are never going to have the life that God intended for you. You are never going to get to grow into a mighty oak like the oak trees that shade our entire street. It's silly but I when I see that little tree I begin to feel sorry for it cause I know the inevitable is coming. Yet there are other times when I see the first glimpse of a tiny leaf I want to shout with joy over that little tree because it has fought back once again after experiencing this recurring set back.



I wish I had taken the picture yesterday because the little tree had grown it's tallest in all these years. No this proud tree had several offshoots and it had gotten to be at least two feet tall...then it was visable no more this morning. Why am I lamenting the temporary loss of a tree? Because I love the tree verses in the Bible. I love Psalm 1, Psalm 92, Ezekial 47 and I especially love Jeremiah 17: 7-8

But blessed is the man who

trusts the Lord,

whose confidence is in him.

He will be like a tree planted by the water

that sends out its roots by the stream.

It does not fear when heat comes;

its leaves are always green.

It has no worries in a year of drought

and never fails to bear fruit.


The past few months I have held on tightly to these words...there has been some heat...the fiery trials of life that have come hard against me. There has been some HEAT and at times I almost gave myself over to the heat and let the trials consume me. I almost gave into the fear of the heat...and you know it is going to come because that is life and living. Green leaves... because I trust in Him...my confidence is in Him.


What no worries??? I can worry in a year of plenty. I can worry in a year of abundance and the Word says no worries in a year of drought and never fail to bear fruit???? Trust in Lord baby, with all your heart...Lean not to your own understanding...in all your ways...acknowledge him and he, the Lord, will surely direct your paths...and I surely love the Lord!
I started this on my lunch hour and now it is full into the evening. When I pulled in tonight I began looking for the hint of a sprout, to know this latest set back has already started into a growth cycle. Didn't see anything, but I will let you know when I do.

4 comments:

FitzandMolly said...

speaking of trees, i always feel sorry for the scrappy little Christmas trees that the stores try to sell. it makes me sad that they were cut down when they really had no chance of finding a suitable home. i think i've watched "charlie brown Christmas" one too many times.

Dana said...

Nancy how appropriate to read this post after our trip! We just got back from this hill country and I took pictures of the trees that grow in impossible places, on the completely vertical sides of hills at impossible angles. Also plants growing straight out of rocks and fighting for life, determined to have life. And it struck me the same way. I thought of the spiritual symbolism and was moved by it. I will post it at some time, but just wanted to say how timely this was and to tell you I enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

Nancy, i'm a tree person too...there are so many metaphors in the Word, but the tree is so right for my understanding..although i'm not supposed to lean on that; it is the soil in which the seed is planted. the Always-Green-Leaves of your Jeremiah quote remind me of the daniel study Not-the-slightest-Smell-of-Smoke. Keep holding to those words as they keep holding onto you and keep us posted on any new sprout sightings!!!

Anonymous said...

so now i'm thinking that when the root sends out a new shoot maybe you should try and graft it to another tree in your yard....would people think you had really gone off the deep end if they saw you attempting that? It really would be a good lesson and reminder to us wild olive branches!