Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Still More Talk About Food and Cooking


I was reading Amanda's blog and she was tagged about favorite places to eat. I know a lot of you read her blog too, but there are some "lurkers" and you know who you are that read my blog and so here is a non threatening environment to comment in, where you love to go out to eat
  1. 1. Ruth Chris Steak House- a great place to celebrate anniversaries, birthdays etc. I don't get to eat there very often, but so look forward to it when I do.

  2. 2. Massa's Grille-there are two Massa's but the one I like the best is the one across the street from the Four Season's downtown. If you love fried shrimp done the old fashioned way, you will love this place. They fry the shrimp in cornmeal. Everything there is good,but not the desserts. Go someplace else for that.
  3. Josephine's-small Italian place just a few blocks from Massa's. Actually they have wonderful dessert, so go there especially for the orange cake.
  4. Molina's and Pappasita's tie for Mexican food
  5. The Cafe Bistro at The Nord- side note...OEG did not know what The Nord was. Good thing I was sitting down when he asked me cause I might have fainted dead away. It is all good at The Nord. Love the crab stack, asparagus tempura and the crab bisque...I loves it ALL. I don't think there a bad thing there...well sometimes the soup du jour is not that good of a choice. White Chocolate Bread Pudding....it will make you slap ya mamma.


Carolyn was happy to report that no one called her today complaining of sickness or died from our cooking adventure last night. We had a blast doing it but I had to go into work a little later than usual, all that cooking wore me out. We made the 1950's fave Pear Cheese Salad with the dollop of mayo. Then for 1960's we made the very Baptist Jello Salad...red jello with fruit cocktail and pecans top with miniature marshmallows. Peggy dubbed it Salvation Salad. 1970's was the rebellious Pistachio Jello Salad and the 1980's was Peggy's famous potato salad. For the 90's we made my Nancy's Amuse' Salad...mixed greens and spinach with craisins, feta cheese, and praline pecans with balsamic dressing. For dessert we served spaghetti ice cream.


Courtneys has posted about what she loves in her kitchen.

  1. I love it when anyone is in my kitchen and they are cooking.
  2. I love my refrigerator cause it keeps my Diet Cokes cold
  3. I love my paper towel holder
  4. I love the small deep freeze we have that is filled with ice cream, Lean Cuisines, frozen veggies and biscuits.

Yep, that is about it.

Well, this has been a long day. I stayed late for COC, I take the minutes for them. Roy and I ran by Collina's for a small pizza.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I'm almost embarassed to say where my favorite food place is. . . we seem to frequent the same old, name known places! However, I do believe that my favorite salad is from Fuzzy's. . .so crisp and fresh. If Fuzzy's is good enough for the Bush's, it must be alright! I don't know about the other people. . . but I'm not a 'lurker'!

Amanda said...

I've never been to Josephine's, but I am a big fan of orange cake. I must go!

I thought of you when the ladies at the Nord counter totally blew my team's chances to win the LPM Galleria scavenger hunt. Our last item was a shopping bag from there. They gave one to the other team but two minutes later the same employees changed their tune and wouldn't give us one! We couldn't even pay for it! We had to buy something and we were unfortunately in an area where nothing was $5 or under.

I'm looking forward to your new blog with Peggy. That will be a scream.

Anonymous said...

I am so sad I had to miss! Promise me you'll do it again so I can attend. You gals make my cheeks hurt!

Love,
Laurie

FitzandMolly said...

I LOVE COLLINA'S PIZZA!!! IT'S MY FAVORITE!!!

Anonymous said...

Favorite Food Joints:

Grand Lux Cafe....yummy! Their portions are so big you have food left over for at least 2 days! :)

Pappasitos's - Fajitas w/garlic butter sauce...doesn't get much better than that!

Cafe Express - love the Shrimp & Avocado salad...may have to make a visit here soon....it's been awhile!

Benihana's.....fun atmosphere and great food...especially the rice made with the garlic butter.

I just realized...I think I may have to go to "garlic butter anynomous" meeting! :0

I am working on my kitchen blog...I plan on having pictures and lots of details for my dream kitchen!

Anonymous said...

oh gosh, favorite places to eat.... as kelly would say since i have a "tape worm" i could eat anywhere and enjoy it BUT i love Lupe Tortilla, Taste of Texas, Maggianos... just to name a few!

still love ya in that apron, you are a riot!

Anonymous said...

Nancy, i can't believe i forgot the DOLLOP of mayonaise..i started to type Dollop of cottage cheese and remembered it as being more like a couple tablespoonsful (so i had to delete Doppop)...i remembered the DOLLOP but not of what...actually being able to remember what june cleaver wore is indicative of memory loss(in my particular case). Thank you for sharing the Baptist salad...that explains why i thought it was sweet potatoes..i never saw marshmellows on anything except s'mores or a stick until i ran into the sweetpotatoeconcoction somewhere! Enough enough..but i so want to try your salad ~Feta is my favorite..right up there with gorgonzola(especially on pizza).Seriously i'm going to try your salad and i am totally with you on the whole kitchen-cooking thing so trying a salad could be interesting! okay i'm really signing off!!!

Anonymous said...

pretty funny did you notice that you and I posted on bbb at exactly the same time today!!!! I knew we had a lot in common...that's why your salad sounds so scrumtious to me!!! Enjoy your day to the utmost!!!!

Anonymous said...

that would be scrumptious, too!

Emily said...

Well, I heard all about the kitchen konnection from Peggy last night at dinner....so sorry I missed the event, but so glad for the pics. You guys fixed all of my old favorites!

Anonymous said...

ummmm first off great site... but... uhhhh... whats the nord? and why do you love it