Monday, June 4, 2007

Random Monday Thoughts

It is not my birthday, but I have received three gifts in the past week. Christmas in June, I will take it. Lisa gave me a night shirt last week at our well memorialized baseball game in the monablog. It is all about books and you know me and well Roy as well, we are all about books. It is so cute! Love it!Then the same evening Dena gave me a necklace with pink sparkly stones...I love pink and I love necklaces. In the years of our friendship I am much better accessorized because of Dena and Dena has great taste in jewelry and friends... :) Today Kelly gave me a beautiful porcelain lamb. It is so cute and it is right at home on my shelve with all things lambs. I am fortunate and blessed beyond measure to have such wonderful and thoughtful friends.


Today was the first day of VBS. The halls were alive with sounds of children and adults trying to corral them. After months of planning and preparing the big day arrives. I have been fortunate the past few years to participate in the ending assembly. This year I am a coach with our recreation minister Bill. It is a lot of fun and I am looking forward to the rest of the week. One thing about those VBS songs...they get in your head and you can't get them out, especially at night. I love the motions with the theme song this year...tons of fun and all the kids were having a blast. Back in the day when I went to VBS we didn't get to have near this much fun. We went to an opening assembly right off the bat and walking in a straight line with our class to the classic VBS march song. If we were well behaved maybe by the end of the week we would get to sing a "fun" song complete with motions...you know Deep and Wide, Hallelu Hallelu Hallelujah, Praise Ye the Lord. Our VBS director for all the years I attended and years before and years afterwards was Mrs. Love. So every morning she would say, "good morning children." We would respond, "Good Morning Mrs. Love." I have met people who went to Westbury Baptist during that time and that is the most memorable moment from all those years. I cannot tell you how many wonderful crafts I made with macaroni, like the macaroni tambourine completed with glitter. Now that is a praise instrument. Loved the metal crafts and making a piggy bank from a Clorox bottle. I remember memorizing verses that I can still quote in the KJV. If it was a good summer, I went to VBS with my cousins in Illinois. I can hear the clacking of our heels on the steps that led to the basement where our classes were and taking a week to memorize Psalm 23 on my own in the afternoon and evenings. Back then there was a service on Friday night that our parents came to. They watched us march in to the VBS song and then came to our rooms where all our crafts were on display and it was only then we were able to take them home. Maybe it was in VBS that I got my love for Koolaid and maybe that is why I only drink it in the summer. Koolaid and cookies now that was some good eatin' in the good ol' days.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked the lamb....ewe deserved a little gift for being such a great friend and giving me Jesus (instead of keeping him for yourself)!! :) Ha! I love my part of the nativity set....glad I was able to help you add to your lamb collection....in several ways, I guess, this week! :)

Dana said...

I so forgot about bleach bottle piggy banks! How funny, arts and crafts have changed a lot over the years...they don't use beans, maccaroni noodles, old birthday cards and milk cartons anymore...my personal favorite was koolaid in the packet...we would mix it with sugar and dip our fingers in it...red fingers, barefeet with stubbed toes and sunburned noses...sounds like summer to me!

see ya'll on Monday!

Anonymous said...

love this shirt SO! That Lisa Pierre sure has Flair!!! I had to enlarge the photo and see how many titles i recognized: and since we're on "crafts" too; i have to ask if you ever made the popsicle stick bowl/basket thing-a-ma-jig??? Coming from an old italian neighborhood, the pasta was reserved for junior high(boy does that date me) geography projects-large, VERY LARGE US maps..different states done with different pasta..no, i didn't make one- i was the goy-wasp in the school so my maps were papier mache!!!

Anonymous said...

ps love your new lamby too...i love lambs..there is something about their shape...i collect hippopatami!!!! the shape is the same!!!!! i want to spell it this way-hippopatamAi- it sounds like it looks that way maybe i should relinquish the hippotamaises,muses and mooses and go for the sheepses too! Have a fun day!!!