Saturday, June 9, 2007

What a Difference a Day Makes

Yesterday I did a catharsis post and was almost going to hit publish when I realized I needed to take 24 hours before pushing that little button. Oh, I am so glad that good sense overruled my visit in the the cynicism world. Seems like I have spent most of my life there. I was one of those children who grew into a teenager and then into an adult that sees through most of the uh...hmmm...how shall I put this? Oh yes the biblical word, dung. I saw through most of the dung and what I didn't know to do is not say anything. I was very verbal and in most cases correct in seeing the lies, the wrong, and the just not right of life. Thankfully, the Lord is in the transformation work and because of Him I don't live in that world anymore...but yesterday I stopped in the neighborhood for a visit. In my post I even alluded to knowing I was there and really just didn't care. Even talking with Lisa yesterday I told her I need to lay low today cause I am so close to my fearless zone and the fearless zone resides in the cynical world. I do think I will take out of that post the stuff that doesn't need to be published but written in my journal. Although writing in a journal is not nearly as fun as blogging. A lot of what I wrote yesterday can stay. I was writing about things I am so tired of, but really can't do anything about. I didn't take the high road on most of that post....

Note to anonymous about grafting the tree... we live in a condo, so we don't have a yard or anyplace to plant it. Believe me I have thought about it though. I will take a picture of where it grows. It is between a fence and cement. Guess kind of like a rock and a hard place.



Last night I did the sacrificial thing and went to Sweet Tomatoes with Roy during pineapple month. I love pineapple but not in food. To me it is a mixing of food groups. Like biscuits and gravy. Love biscuits, love gravy, but not together. It is a total waste of a biscuit not to have butter, jam, or honey on it. Gravy is for meat and potatoes. Anyway, it is pineapple month so there is pineapple in the salads, muffins, pasta and dessert. Apparently I am in the minority over the pineapple month because that place was packed last night. We always sit at a booth but there weren't any available. The background noise was so loud that we gave up trying to have any conversation, so we looked like a lot of couples who just eat in what I call the discipline of silence. Afterwards, Roy and I went to Costco. We are such an exciting couple. But they had apricots and peaches for a really good price. Now if you have ever watched the Bad Seed you know that apricot juice is so good, you don't even need ice. So with that train of thought, apricots are so good they don't even need to be cold. The best apricots I ever had was in Israel, but I digress. Think I will slice up some apricots, peaches and strawberries and make a fruit salad.



Speaking of salad, on June 19th Peggy and I are doing a Kitchen Konnection for the Women's Ministry. We are calling it Burnt Offerings. Neither one of us really like to cook, but we are good at what we do cook. I think we are going to do all salads and do salads of the decades and I need to see if for dessert if we can make spaghetti ice cream. If you haven't had it you will love it! When we do Mildred and Gertrude, which this isn't, but when we do we have a new script about never feeling like we fit into women's ministry and we go through all our blunders and mistakes, but we mistakenly think we are at an athletic event for women. Other than a church softball team or if you are lucky a volleyball league, there is not much in the way for women who enjoy sports or being active in women's ministry. I think this is a whole untapped area. I know there is aerobics etc and believe me I did all that and worked out with a personal trainer when I played tennis, but not much of that came through ministry. Although, when I played softball I worked out with Bill Colley. He has gone on to be with the Lord, but he was in his 70's had been a boxer and he worked with me for several years while I played softball. He was the sweetest and kindest man, but he could be a bear when it came time to lift weights. I will always be grateful to him for helping me train.



Well, I am all over the place in this post. Speaking of women's ministry and food, I have noticed that if someone is going to speak on an eating disorder it is usually going to be some skinny recovering anorexic woman. No one ever has a fat woman up there to talk. I could talk about eating disorders. I have ADD and I am an emotional eater...so by looking at my pictures you can see I am quite emotional. I don't usually binge, I just eat the wrong stuff, but I could say with my ADD I eat and then get off task and forget to purge.



In my review this week, Jason asked me about my prayer life. I told him I was using a book by Jennifer Kennedy Dean and answering the questions in it and then praying using the verses I looked at that day. It has given me some structure to my otherwise random prayer life. I also have my journal that I use to pray for family, friends and requests. He told me that was great because being so random I was letting God organize me. I thought heck, I am just lazy and glad someone came up with a structure for me.



If you use blogspot for your blog have you noticed the save now button and then it will say saved when auto saved. For those of you who did Psalms of Ascent, I see that SAVE NOW and think or sometimes yell Hosanna! Cause that is what it means.



Yes, I am glad I left the hood behind me yesterday. Mary Mary has a great song called Yesterday. Listen to it if you get a chance. When I was young and the Beatles Yesterday was released... I think it was the first song I ever changed the words to.



Suddenly, I'm not half the girl I used to be

seems like somethings eaten all of me

oh I leprosy what's become of me.


Why I had to go, I don't know it didn't say

I know

somethings wrong' I'm all gone

oh leprosy.......



Well, with that out of the way, guess I should be on my way. Today, I am cleaning out the closet/den while Roy is at the office. I am going to give away all my southern literary journals to whom? I don't know. Where? Maybe Half Price Books. If I get disgusted with the whole process the recycling bins at church.





Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nancy, i don't smell the slightest scent of smoke after yesterday's heat...your leaves are green!!! Hosanna!!!! You are even cracking highly exceptional jokes...the ADD/Purge one is supercalifragilisticexpealidocious!Wasn't that popular about the same time as the leprosy song? Will write later

Anonymous said...

Great post! I like to think of myself as being a bulemic amnesiac (is that spelled right)? I purge and then forget to throw up....after reading your post...I guess I can blame my forgetfulness on ADD, too? HEE!

Anonymous said...

so i said i'd be back and here i be after and interesting dinner in Burton...i'm hearing the song "Greensleeves" in my head and thinking of you as green leaves....anyway i had to run earlier but i wanted to suggest you graft the branch to a baytown dump picnic tree on your next visit..just a thought a poor one at that now that i see it in print..i'm glad you posted today's blog..it keeps us other cynical-world dwellers on the right track! Keep on keeping on with your prayer journaling...i think the journaling part has to help keep it real and keep it from becoming a ritualistic habit..it keeps the life in it ..that's always my problem...i get to the point that i think i am doing so good because of the structure and then realize that somewhere along the way i lost the substance and am just structure and then i quit for a while...then i'm too lazy to get it all going again..so i pray for the ability to start and i'm good to go because i'm back to the substance again....have a great week greenleaves!

FitzandMolly said...

on biscuits & gravy: if the biscuits are my family's passed-down through the generations buttermilk bicuits, then no gravy. only honey, syrup, or homemade apple butter or other homemade preserves will do. if the biscuits are the canned variety, then please smother them with gravy. i don't want to taste those things.

on having an eating disorder: i'm with you on being an emotional eater. i never was until i had a baby. now all the weight i had lost is slowly being put back on. i'm going to have to get my life back in order. but i can't purge b/c for me, throwing up is the worst thing that could happen to me. i'd rather go through labor again.

Anonymous said...

i do tend to obsess on things so here goes...from - A Lesson from Queen Esther- by Rabbi C. Scheinberg "Hadassah stems from the word 'hadas', myrtle...the leaves ...have a very sweet fragrance ... only released when the leaves are bruised & crushed. ... Esther-related to word 'hester' meaning hidden." related here in the spirit of our bible study teacher...this is only one interpretation of many but i thought apt in reference to your post!!!!