Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lots of Words on a Wednesday

Ash Wednesday and although I have no ashes on my forehead from a palm frond that came from a church service but in a pinch I could use some soot that has accumulated on a candle to mark, uh, to honor Ash Wednesday. Growing up Baptist we neither could confirm nor deny the validity that we should celebrate or commemorate such a day. I mean, 40 days was good for Jesus and being tempted or Noah at sea, but we Baptists already were doing the Sunday morning, Sunday evening and Wednesday night thing, we could not be asked to do one thing more. In elementary school days it meant fish sticks on Friday for lunch and that is about all I knew.


When I was a freshman in college I gave up Dr. Pepper for Lent. Just about killed me or so I thought. Yeah, I was being all wild participating in other denomination's celebrations.


Since then Lent hasn't been anything too pressing on my mind. I have used the time to do 40 day books or devotions that leads up to Easter but didn't sacrifice or give anything up. The past four years my brain was occupied with the details of Spring Loaded and not much else.


I have read other blogs and some are giving up blogging or Facebook. I don't feel called to do that, but when I have thought about giving up something for Lent, something that I love, the cookies from Memorial Bakery come to mind. They fit the bill for something sweet, that is if you only eat one cookie. Many days, no problem, one cookie, but then there were other days, stressful days that oh maybe I needed 3-4 to fill the sweet tooth cravings. In reality it isn't a sweet tooth, but a stress tooth that causes me to indulge. Instead of going to the sweetest name I know with my anxiety or concerns,I found myself going to the sweetest iced cookie dough. So, that's it, the cookies from Memorial Bakery. I don't think I will substitute anything for the cookie cause I crave the cookies. It should be that I will be heading straight to the Lord.


On another note, my mom was released from the hospital late last night. She was really tired and worn out. My dad misunderstood some things so they are going to have to find a Dr to help take care of her issues or issue since she doesn't have cancer. Her platelets are up but now her hemoglobin is down, which could cause her to faint or loose her balance. My dad is doing a great job taking care of things. The past few weeks the voice of my therapist Cheryl Simmons has resonated deeply within me, to ask God for wisdom for when I really need to step in and take over. Long history with my father that is water under the bridge but it is a fine line not to be taken in by untruth. It has been some tough leaning in to the Lord days and if I was still feeling a little stressed, a couple of cookies fit the bill.


I listened again to Mark Batterson talk on routine and I'm thinking of hearing it several more times. There is such a great word from the Lord in all that has been spoken. He talks of Moses and I am learning from Moses but also Martha.


Several friends have posted recipes of late and I'm thinking about posting my recipe for Tortilla Soup, the very easy way. It is awesome. I've also wanted to fix poached salmon with dill sauce, but I'll have to wait till next week. This has been a week of late nights for Roy.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I have never felt the need to participate in Lent, but yesterday while I was listening to KSBJ they did the little "Minute Message" or whatever it is called. The topic was fasting and Lent. I felt God say to me, "Jennifer, you need to do that this year". So I have made the choice to give up all sodas for 40 days. I know this will be hard for me as I did it while I was pregnant and nursing EK and it about killed me.

Anonymous said...

yep, sounds like a whirlwind to me..cookies, palm fronds, tortilla soups (needed the "s" for the grammar purposes), therapists, pod-casts, marthas and moses (who graciously supplied the "s"). May your lenten "routine" help you decipher what the Lord is suggesting regarding your family or give you the peace to await the answer you will no doubt receive in his timing if your heart is open! I don't think that Moses had the need to ask God who he was except for his own insecurities...but then again that is probably is a reason God chose him! don't you love the paradoxes! there i go again....for lent i should give up wordiness...yeah right! wishiong you His peace.

Anonymous said...

p.s. and no broken hip like Jacob...go figure!

Anonymous said...

p.s. i couldn't remember the scripture (i need to do scripture memory) so i had to look it up...re:denominational differences and Lent...do you think the protestants carried away with Isa.58:3 >>> and Mat 6:16? I was looking for Pauls word but so far haven't found them

FitzandMolly said...

I was wondering if I should give up something for Lent, and I decided fast food would be my thing. But then today, I got invited to a farewell party for Bill at James Coney. So long, Lent!