Friday, February 27, 2009

My Friday Evening Report

When I start the day with a Venti Skinny Cinnamon Dolce, you know I am thinking it is going to be a long, long day. It was long and maybe a grande would have seen me through, but the Venti was oh soooo good.

This morning I went to sit with my mom while my dad went to MD Anderson for his appointment. Surprised them by being early. It is non stop people in a hospital which is really good. Who wants to be in a hospital and no staff coming by, it would be worrisome. Several Dr's and nurses came in to ask questions and take vitals. John Young from First Baptist came by and that so pleased my mom. We talked and then he prayed with us before leaving. God's presence filled that room. Mom told him some funny stories and one in particular is worth noting. She is the first person to be a baptized member of Westbury Baptist Church. Since Westbury was a mission church of River Oaks Baptist and because Westbury was meeting in an elementary school at the time, my mom was baptized at River Oaks. The pastor was really, really old and very, very short. Put that with Mom's paralyzing fear of deep water and it could have been a worrisome event. Mom told John I knew he could get me under the water, I just wasn't sure he could get me back up.


There were several times my mom needed help getting to the bathroom or to the portable potty they brought in for her to use. Mom isn't too steady on her feet right now, so I helped her there then she made me turn my back to her and then help her back. Once she arrived in bed she said, thanks for helping me but oh you owe me for so many times of my help when we were potty training you. You've barely even started to pay back that debt. She is funny. I think she is serious.


Hospital gift shops always have great cards.


This morning I so pulled up to the front of St Luke's and valet parked. The parking garage looked to be a huge mess of people trolling for parking spaces. Dad told me I would wait forever to get my car. Not true, it was only a few minutes wait.


I returned home a little before 3:00. Roy is at the college baseball games at Minute Maid Park today and tonight. That is what he wanted for his birthday. He has called a couple of times and he sounds like he is having a great time. Since he won't be home till later, I met Dena for an early dinner at McCormick's and Schmidt's. Oh my, dinner was totally awesome. We both did the surf and turf thing... steak, stuffed lobster, garlic mashed potatoes, carrots and asparagus and creme brulee for $30.00. The lobster was so good and we were trying to decide how far one can go to dig out every bit of lobster from the shell. I was going to twirl that baby around by the tail and let those little pieces fall out on the table, but thought better of it. We almost used spoons. We tried to convince the waitress we needed a second serving to make sure the lobster was really good. Didn't work. Dessert was unbelievably heavenly...just the right crackle of burnt sugar to the soft creamy goody below the surface.



Supremely satisfied with dinner, we went over to My Fit Food. Of course we had just eaten food that could be described as food that makes my clothes not fit. My Fit Food is located next door to Crave Cupcakes and down one store from Starbucks. We decided to go to My Fit Food first before buying cupcakes. Everything looked so good and I bought several selections for Roy and me to try. Then I went next door and got cupcakes for Roy's birthday. We did all that and left the parking lot by 6:20. Don't tell us we don't know how to do this old person stuff really well, and still be back home early.


I hope I can still be awake by the time Roy comes home. I am checking my sweater for any lost flicks of lobster...no I ate daintily tonight.

3 comments:

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Nancy,


I love your posts. I so identify with caring for the parents. Two years ago I did the same thing for a year. Both my parents were extremely healthy for 80 years..still traveled everywhere, very independent. They were both extremely sick at the same time the last 2 years of their lives.

Most days I did nothing right. And tired would not even describe that year. I was never NOT tired.

I love the stories about your fun times...with friends.

Keep posting...
Teresa

FitzandMolly said...

your opening statement makes me yearn for the day when i can drink caffinated (sp?) coffee again, and not get immediate pregnancy heartburn from it. i want it delivered to me in the hospital after this baby is out.

Laura SanchezQuan said...

I could live on creme brulee! It's our all time fave dessert ever! It's hard to find places that make it perfectly right though. YUUUM!