Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine Vespers

Valentine's Day has come and gone. We kicked it old school and had a simple yet fun day. Roy always hides his Valentine card for me. Usually it is found around breakfast food or Diet Cokes. When the card wasn't in all the usual places, I began searching for it. Roy got home in the afternoon and I let him know I still hadn't found the card. He responded I guess Buddy didn't help me this morning. Of course, the shelve. There it was on the top shelve and the card proudly proclaimed me to be a Proverbs 31 woman. So now I am proud to be a card carrying member of that group. Roy is sad that the Garden Bookstore is closing at church because that is where he always bought his cards and he was thrilled to get this year's card at 75% off. Roy was surprised to receive his card on Valentine's Day. I am notorious for finding a card for him early while the choices are good and then forgetting where I put it.


We did a late lunch at Fu's Garden for our Valentine dinner. I am still in the Orange Flavor Chicken mood and since we went before 4:00 we got the lunch time price. We seemed to be all about celebrating on the cheap this year. After our lunch we went to Macy's in Memorial City. Now here is the kicker, I can go during the week and not be subjected to weekend crowds, but we found a parking place rather quickly so that sealed the deal to stay. We bought towels and some sheets. I think we should all periodically give each other showers on significant anniversaries so that as things wear out, they are replaced and at a party. Just this shower idea alone could be an incentive in keeping marriages from falling apart. Roy is debating getting a memory foam pillow, but I don't know... they didn't feel all that comfortable. I would be interested in getting a pillow that keeps cool during the summer. We left Memorial City and headed to the Play Grocery store for ice cream. By now, the rain is coming down rather hard and sweetie went in the store bought me a French Vanilla in a waffle cone, brought it to me in the car and went back in to buy his pistachio cone. We headed toward home for a quiet Valentine's evening of TV and playing with Buddy. We also folded laundry.


For those of you who think Valentine's is always about romance, surprises and chocolate, it can be, but mainly it's not, I hope you are not disappointed in our old school style of celebrating. There were years we were barely even speaking to one another and we would go all out with gifts, dinners, surprises, faux romantic gestures (remember we were mad at one another) and chocolate. In just a few days we realized we were still aggravated and now a lot poorer trying to do Valentine's dictated by the culture so that we could brag to our friends what we each had done, but we dare not share the tone and tenor of the evening. Once we realized that love is an everyday occurrence and not something to celebrate once a year, we were much happier in life and with each other. We started studying God's love in the Word and what that means, to walk love out daily, walking in love with one another, with our friends, neighbors and family. Walking in God's love is one of the hardest things you'll ever do, but we don't have to do it in our own strength. Walking in God's love is one of the most powerful ways to live life, remember love never fails...God is love, so God never fails. The subject matter of God's love unfortunately gets lumped in with very familiar biblical subjects and well known, but not well studied familiar passages of scripture, like I Corinthians 13. It is worth the time and study and remember God's love is not an emotional feeling, although it can feel that way, it is a decision and a willingness to be obedient to follow the Lord and His Word.


Dena joined Roy and I at the Nord today for lunch and we love it when she does. Her conversation is fun and delightful. We were all in good spirits because our menu selections were perfect and so tasty. Other than me making an appointment to have a pedicure later in the week, none of us shopped. A nap was calling me to come home. Sunday afternoon naps are always the best naps of the week.


I think Valentine's is just about my favorite holiday. Well, it isn't really a holiday, but I love celebrating it. Little Valentine cards are so fun to send and I love giving gifts with a heart being part of the theme. I love to celebrate because it is another day that unbelievers will accept it more willingly to hear of God's love. Hope your Valentine's was 2 sweet 2 B 4 gotten.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i started to say hiw amazed i was by upir valentine's day feelings BUT i love your posts so much BECAUSE they do speak to my heart... i was trying to convey your feelings -actually they were mine at the time in y words and she JUST DIDN"T GET IT!!! It was as if she thought i was boycotting V-day!!!! I guess i couldn't express my feelings as clearly as you did....well, she said to me "Christmas, anniversary, b-day and v-day had to be acknowledged or else!!!!" so see!!!- there is your point EXACTLY!!!!... I love her dearly but sometimes it is SO HARD to express some of my ideas to her ...i'm so new on this walk and trying to understand things...she on the other hand is not walking at all...i'll be the first in the family...and maybe the last!@#@!anyway your day sounded wonderful...i LOVE that Roy hides your card..you two are an inspiration...and re: memory foam pillow....my husband really likes it..i use mine sometimes...If Roy sleeps on his back (the right way to sleep..i am a stomach-side sleeper) he will probably like it.... Macy's will let him return it if it doesn't work....Love reading your posts even when i don't blab back at'cha!

Anonymous said...

p.s. it's not like i am walking it out or anything myself But you show me that it is possible!!!!

Michelle said...

I agree with the anniversary showers. Our sheets bit the dust around our 5th anniversary! I think your old-style valentines day was perfect...sometimes the best!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. . . "Well, it isn't really a holiday, but I love celebrating it."

Just hmmmm!

LMS