Monday, February 9, 2009

An Overcast Monday-Love It!!!!

It is a gloomy, overcast day in Houston. One of those days where you want to stay around home to read or take a nap. Usually I am at work on these type of days where I would wistfully look outside my windows to check for rain or watch all the cars passing by on I-10. But, I am at home today and love taking in all this day has to offer. Buddy has been zonked out on the bed for most of the day. I ran to both Kroger and Play Grocery store, gassed up the car and went to the Post Office early this morning. Taco Soup is simmering on the stove and one more drawer has been organized. I have several books going and it becomes difficult to narrow it down to one choice. This is good and feels so right.


Last night I went to the Hymn Sing at Tallowood. Before you think I have gone old on ya, I haven't. Really, I enjoy all types of music, with country western probably my least favorite. It has been several years since I've been able to attend a hymn sing. Last night we were treated to hymns we love to sing, choir,a trio of tenors and sopranos. OK, as an alto I would like to ask, why wasn't there a trio of altos? It was kind of strange to look at the Tallowood choir and see so many familiar faces that were once a part of HFBC's choir. And there was a Sarah Palin look alike on the top row of sopranos. If you wanted to feel young this was the place to be. 50 was the new 25 last night. There wasn't a spare piece of pew. If car thieves wanted their pick of Lincoln Town Cars, Cadillacs, Crown Victoria's, and Grand Marquis this would have been the place to score. Probably what was the most fun about the night is seeing friends and acquaintances you haven't seen in a long time. In fact, one of the soloists last night looked so familiar to me. Who was she and I finally realized it was Cindy Robinson. :) Well, she was a soloist but that isn't who I am talking about. As this woman sang I kept thinking she reminds me of someone...and then toward the end of her solo I realized it was Karen. We went to Willow Meadows together and went to Southwest Texas together in college. In fact, when she left for the green and yellow of Baylor at Christmas break, I was going to move and room with her former roommate, but SWTS would let you change dorms at mid term. On the drive home I cranked up Mary, Mary and some Chris Tomlin just to even out the night.


Roy and I watched the end of one of our very favorite movies last night, Moonstruck. Roy and I can almost do all the dialogue from the kitchen scene where all the family gathers and everything is resolved. Just thinking about all types of music,then technically, I got some opera in last night as well.


On Saturday afternoon Dena and I took care of our Molina fix and afterwards ran, no it would be more like waddled, over to Border's Books. She being inspired by all my blogging about cooking wanted to get a new cookbook and I was looking to replace my iPod case. Roy accidentally threw mine away. The case not the iPod. She didn't find the cookbook she wanted and Roy and I returned the iPod case I bought yesterday. But, I did get something fabulous out of the deal. In 2002 Dena went with me to Nashville to visit family and then she and I took a side trip through the South. That whole trip deserves its own post. Anyway, while we were in the Nashville area we went to Amish Country. The exit is the same for the Jack Daniels factory and Amish country. Guess you could go visit Jack, get a little sloshed and then drive on over to see the Amish. This group of Amish put a sign at then end of their drives letting you know what they sell. Then you drive up to their homes and make your purchases. We had such a good time driving and buying, in fact we kind of followed the tour bus cause you know they've got to make the best stops. We did find ourselves returning over and over to a particular Amish home where they made peanut brittle and carob covered peanuts. We just called those goodies Amish poison cause we couldn't get enough. But I have digressed. On this trip Dena bought an Amish cookbook. Now she promised at the time to have Roy and I over for cottage cheese burgers using the recipe from the Amish cookbook. She hasn't ever fixed them... I am not complaining. With all the talk of cookbooks, I asked her if I could borrow the Amish one and she brought it Sunday morning. The Amish don't use electricity or modern appliances, so how do they know to cook something at 350 degrees? I borrowed the cookbook because I can't think of anything new to cook. I have now made all 4 of the things I know how to cook and thought the Amish could jump start me with delicious family recipes. I'll let you know how it goes. A tidbit that goes with our Amish adventure is Dena was enamored with some of the Amish men and she was even contemplating the simple life of a man, a farm, horses, buggies and no electricity. I realized I needed to do an intervention and on the way back into Nashville stopped at a Dillard's. She came to her senses right there in sportswear. It dawned on her that flat irons need electricity and no man and his farm can come between Dena and her flat iron.


Tomorrow I begin my adventure at the gym. I'll let y'all know how that goes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i watched moonstruck too lastnight ....for the zillionth time....waiting to hear about the gym trip...remember easy does it to start!!!!

Me said...

Wow Nancy - I too have an attention-seeking person in my life (although from your description, our people are different in some ways too). But I really appreciated your sentence about "If I reacted to every attention needing moment from them, I would be worn out and not able to help when a real moment comes."

Sometimes I feel a bit too guilty about not giving attention every time, but you are so right and that is exactly how I feel, but you put it into words so well!