Saturday, February 9, 2013

Adventures in Babysit... I Mean Life

There is a lingering presence of our adventure in dining last night.  Last night Roy grilled hamburgers.  They were delicious!  This morning as I proceeded to make breakfast the strong, STRONG, odor of onions filled the air but only in a corner of our counter top.  The corner where the coffee maker and toaster reside.  Ugh, gag...I searched and then found some Febreeze and sprayed it all around the counter top...eureka or U reek a is no more.  That is until I opened the trash can and the onion odor greeted me from beyond the trash.  Onions will wake one up in the morning, but not in a good way. 

As the days roll closer to Lent I've been thinking about those forty days.  My denomination hasn't been big into Lent participation although there are some who participate.  I have off and on throughout the years.  Margaret Feinberg's blog got me to thinking:

Beginning on Ash Wednesday (which falls on February 13nd, this year), many people choose to give something up for 40 days in this season of preparation.
But as I suggest in Wonderstruck, maybe the question we need to ask as we enter Lent isn’t, “What are you giving up for Lent?” as much as “What do you want to lay hold of during Lent?”
The wonders of God are waiting for you during Lent. This season is laced with opportunity that will stir your hunger to know God more.
How will you lay hold of the wonders of Lent?

I'm excited about the prospect of finding out what will I lay hold of in the wonders of Lent.  I loved doing the #livewonderstruck challenge and I've been able to see more clearly the wonders of God here in the everyday of life.  On Thursday morning we had much to rejoice over in our core group time.  Had a fabulous lunch with Laurie M.  Got to have a surprise dinner with Dena because she had an appointment near us out here on the prairie.  Friday I got to babysit Peggy and have a fabulous lunch prepared by Kathleen.  Friday afternoon Roy and I took care of some chores around the house and then he fixed hamburgers with all the trimmings, including the stinky onions.  In all these activities and in all these things I perceived and saw the wonder of God in the littlest details and also the fun details of life.  I will also note that meals seem to be a huge emphasis in this paragraph.  That is quite by accident or is it?

Our local McDonald's is an adventure in drive through.  I don't know if ours would ever win any kind of quickness or efficient award.  Peggy wanted a sausage biscuit so instead of going with my first instinct which was going to the McDonald's by her, I stopped at the one closest to me.  Big mistake, sat for ten minutes in line because the line never moved.  I was able to back up and get out of the line that held so many captive and make my way to the other Mickey D.  It took me less time to drive over there, wait in line, put in the gate code at Peg's and pull into the driveway than waiting in the drive through line from heck.  Sadly, I did drop Peggy's Coke and I offered to go get her another one but she graciously or drugily said it was OK.  Whew!  Because Peggy never can sit still unless otherwise grounded, we had a great conversation and were halfway focused because both of us were limited in the amount of movement.  She was a good patient and is doing well.  At least under my watch she did well.   Since Peggy is such a good friend to many, you can only imagine the amount of reciprocity that is being returned and they say that so much of this comes from being in a Sunday School class.  Nope I think it has to do more with kindness, thoughtfulness and living a generous life although being a member of a good class has its perks too. 

Roy has gone to pick up his Trek.  He is so excited!  This will also be an adventure. 

No comments: