Monday, February 4, 2013

Football, Hurdles and Overwhelming Spaces

This past weekend is the biggest weekend in professional football unless opening day is counted when every team has an equal chance of being in the Super Bowl.  We watched parts of the game and it was kind of comical because I was watching on TV and Roy had the game split screen with some work he was doing on the computer.  Only thing, the game was on a delay so while I was wildly screaming or bemoaning an aspect of the game, Roy would respond with, what?  Don't tell me?  Oh, I'll come in there and watch the replay.  Of course at 8:00 I retreated to the bedroom to watch Downton Abbey.  The game can't be talked about without the blackout of 2013 in the Super Dome.  My Tweet was, "In 9 months there will be a lot of babies named Raven." 

I started out the twenty four hours of intense football complete with a million hours of pre-game hype, by watching Brian's Song, 1971 version on Saturday night.  I think the last time I watched this made for TV movie was in 1971.  Interesting note, the set for Gale Sayer's home in the  movie was the same one used for Bewitched.  It was at this moment I knew I had watched too much TV when I was younger.  To be able to identify the front and inside of the Bewitched house triumphs being able to divide or multiply fractions.  At least when I watched Brian's Song and when I began to cry, Roy wasn't sitting beside me, starring like he did last week during Downton Abbey.  Lots of cheesy acting by today's standards but the theme of the movie remains relevant, friendship and the lasting impact upon our lives made by friends. Many times the influence has come from those who we would least likely be friends with.  Who I am today and turning out pretty good despite a very rough and hard childhood has been at least 90%  determined by  positive impact from friends and mentors throughout my life.

After church yesterday we had lunch with Dena.  The laugh meter is off the charts when we get to have lunch together.  Even  Roy is throwing in some zingers in between his serious comments.  Lunch was a great platform for our next thing on the day's agenda.  For months Roy has been researching bikes, recumbent bikes and three wheel Treks.  Several weeks ago he went to a local bike shop and tried out the different styles available and he has been printing out accessories to compliment his new ride in the evenings at home.  We went yesterday thinking we would place an order but the shop had received a new Trek that was in the middle price wise.  After a quick ride while I remained behind at the shop as collateral, Roy knew he had found his new ride.  He picked out all his biking accessories and will pick his Trek up next week.  He is so excited!  I am happy for him and when he is not riding that bad boy, I will be able to ride and without the worries of my limited balance tossing me over to a side.  I wanted to get him white streamers to put at the end of his handle bar grip but he discouraged that.  I wonder why? 

The results of my blood work came in late Friday afternoon and I was pleasantly surprised.  No, that is a huge understatement, I was SURPRISED!  Incredibly happy and thankful too.  So hurdle number 2 has been accomplished in the continual quest for successful heart surgery.  So what is the first hurdle to jump? My ejection fraction is below normal but is high enough to endure the procedure and thus a normal ejection fraction should happen after surgery.  Thus my debilitating fatigue will dissipate.  Oh Happy Day!  So blood work and ejection fraction are good to go.  With each passing day in the midst of the countdown, my attitude about all this, which has never been bad, is being energized with hope and belief.  I always have a little bit of apprehension about anaesthesia though. 

I'm just about finished reading The Art of Travel.  Very well written and I have learned a lot from the author, who happens to be an atheist.  I have a richer appreciation of God, His creation, and the mind and heart He has given us and the immense creativity that resides within us, waiting to be expanded and explored.  I think he gives one of the finest explanations of Job and suffering.  The author is writing from the midst of the desert, around Mt Sinai and the vastness, the wilderness and the barrenness of the land he asks this question, "What do barren, overwhelming spaces do for us?"

"Asked to explain why Job has been made to suffer even though he has been good, God draws Job's attention to the mighty phenomena of nature
  • Don't be surprised that things have not gone your way, He declares the universe (God, is my interpretation of universe.) is greater than you
  • Do not be surprised that you do not understand why they have not gone your way, for you cannot fathom the logic of the universe (God)
  • See how small you are next to the mountain. 
  • Accept what is bigger than you and what you do not understand
The world may appear illogical to you, but it does not follow that it is illogical per se.  Our lives our not the measure of all things : consider sublime places for a reminder of human insignificance and fragility.  God assures Job that he has a place in His heart, even if all events do not center around him (Job) and may at times appear to to run contrary to his (Job's) interest.  When divine wisdom eludes human understanding, the righteous, made aware of their limitations by the spectacle of sublime nature, must continue to trust in God's plans for the universe." 

I would insert here from Isaiah, "His ways are higher than our ways, His thoughts are higher than our thoughts."

This book as I have mentioned before, weaves in perfectly with Wonderstruck by Margaret Feinberg.  This is the last day of the #wonderstruck challenge.  The last day's word is listening. 

Speaking of listening the washing machine timer just went off and I must get back to my earthly chores.  I must say the overwhelmingness of laundry is making me feel rather small and question how two people can create in a week's time so much dirty clothing. 

No comments: