Thursday, February 14, 2013

One

I love these moments where Buddy sits on my lap and takes her paw and rubs my face.  Please don't spoil it by telling me she is just marking her territory or that it means 'I am planning to rip your face off.'  Most of her stuffed toys have lost their faces over the years.  She doesn't do that to her sheep that she distributes or should that be leads all over the house.  Although one sheep in particular has had its feet chewed off.  I think the old Sunday School story goes that a sheep that wanders sometimes has its leg broken to stay close to the shepherd while healing.  Buddy must really love that wayward sheep. 

On this first day of Lent I caught up with the Tuesday thing and had pancakes at Le Peep.  I had an eye appointment today and got a good report from my doctor.  Going rimless this time and I also picked out a new pair of sunglasses because mine are several prescriptions behind.  A few years ago I gave up the rimless because I thought everyone who wore them was trying to look young.  Today I am thinking and what's wrong with that?  The tech brought over several pairs of glasses with fancy temple and arm decor but I've decided that look isn't really for me, although my sunglasses are Vera Bradley with a little pattern on the arms. Afterwards I ran a few errands, stopped for lunch and then on my way toward I 10, I stopped at Goode Company and got some barbecue for lunch tomorrow with my core group at CBS.  We have finally made it to the chapter 11, the hall of faith.  It's kind of like when you study Romans and you finally hit Romans 12. 

While eating my cinnamon pecan pancakes and soft scrambled eggs, I read a new book I downloaded last week.  The book's name is Writing Away.  The book is intended to help you keep a travel journal and the whole first chapter is devoted to finding the right journal and pen.  She also helps you prepare for the journey with hints on how to set up and start the journal even before you depart.  If I never was able to read another chapter in the book I would feel like I got my money's worth.  To a person who has journal acquiring disease, these were some blessed instructions.  She also helps you get over finally writing something in your journal without thinking you have ruined the whole thing and you must begin again...with another journal...which I have a sizable sum to chose from.  I am going to use her system of detailed writing on your favorite moment of the day.  In the front of your journal you set up a three column type thing to help you keep track of the one moment.  This will dovetail nicely with my one word will change your life exercise.  To be honest one word, one moment, one Lord, one faith, one baptism...oops, has fit in nicely with #livewonderstruck.  The only thing keeping n from the e in the wonderstruck is a d.  So one is found in the word wonderstruck.  That quiet moment reading and savoring much missed Le Peep pancakes was a good moment of the day.  It just might make it into the moment of the day. 

 Sometimes this is so much curiosity about Jesus between the age of 12 in the Temple and the beginning of His ministry.  In Late Night Cathecism there is a line in the play that goes something like Joseph and Mary finally found Jesus back at the Temple and she said, "you are so grounded!"  Thus that's why we don't hear anything about Him until the age of 30.  While that is funny I read the other day a different look at that time and passage.  We last read of Jesus in the Temple reading the Torah as a child and upon the first glimpse of Him in the Gospels, after forty days in the wilderness, and Satan comes to tempt, Jesus responds with; "It is written."  That is what he was doing all those years.  Absorbing and studying His Father's Word.  I believe I read this in Walking in the Footsteps of Jesus by Wayne Stiles.   Good to ponder in this Lenten season. 

No comments: