Wednesday, February 6, 2013

We Hit the Old Person's Trifectta!

Last night we went to see Peggy at Methodist.  On Monday she had her right knee replaced.  It was a great time to go visit because all the morphine the Dr injected around her knee is still effective.  To tell you the truth for me to go to the Med Center voluntarily is a huge big deal.  I can now add another destination to my limited knowledge of the Medical Center.  I picked up Roy from the office and we headed to the busiest, most frantic, active place in the city of Houston.  There isn't a bar or a club that can compete with the energy on the streets there.  Oh yes, someone once told me about how bars and clubs are just filled with energy...that's how I know that fact.  The best discovery breakthrough in medicine has to be valet parking.  Truly adding valet parking has changed lives everywhere.  Once you leave the streets and come into the lobby of a hospital, there is a welcomed respite.  In hindsight we should have visited the chapel and the gift shop before going up to see Peggy.  Chapel to calm down and shopping to bring joy.  I brought Peggy a quarter but she told me to keep it so we could get out of the parking garage.   If Twinkies were still around I would have brought her one because the foundation of our friendship is partially built on a Twinkie smashed onto my knee.  When we got to her room the door was shut and I was hesitant to knock but we did and were welcomed into her room.  The door was shut because Keely and Jaime were there with Peggy and Bill.  Guess the door was shut more for Keely.  Jaime was her well-behaved self.  Had a great visit and even took some pictures to put up on Facebook.  We stayed about an hour and I fully hoped that life had calmed down a little bit outside.  It had but not by much.  While we waited for our car, I had a lovely conversation with another woman maybe a little older than me, about comfortable shoes.  Oh my...that is what getting older has come to. 

Once Roy and I hit West U I knew exactly what to do but he insisted that we needed to take a left at one street and not a right.  I knew it wasn't the right move, but either I was being submissive or stupid to turn left.  I think I will choose submissive but it was stupid.  So we took a little tour and enjoyed the dark streets of West U and finally found ourselves on 59.  Because of all the hectic movement and maybe because he was feeling a little guilty about the left turn he even agreed to eating at Cracker Barrel on the way home.  The only time Roy will willingly eat at CB is on trips.   Gee, comfortable shoes, Cracker Barrel, I need just one more thing to have an old person's trifectta.  I wanted to eat there more because I wanted pancakes and Roy really has vowed never to eat at a IHOP again.  Turned out to be a great decision because with all those carbs, we were in bed before 10:00.  There we have it ladies and gentlemen the old person's trifectta, comfortable shoes, Cracker Barrel and asleep before 10:00 pm. 

No comments: