Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Books, Books, and More Books

If I was Catholic right now I would be in the confession booth saying, "bless me father for I have sinned." It has been two days since I bought a book and gosh darn it, I bought three books today from the Garden Bookstore. I have no will power in this arena and I am becoming more and more convinced that it might be OK. So, I told you that I picked up a delivery from Amazon yesterday afternoon and left it on the table. I knew it was a book I had ordered for work and a Southern fiction read for me. After a while Roy says to me, "I am sorry I opened your box I thought those were the books I ordered." That is when I began my mantra, Roy we have to stop buying so many books! We can't go on buying books and then trying to find a place to keep them. Bookcases are full, nooks and crannies are full...the den/closet is looking more and more like a land locked book mobile. Come on...let's say it together NO MORE BOOKS!!!! for a while
Roy called me this morning on my way to church. Uh, Nancy, Amazon just sent an email that the book your ordered will be here on the 16th. Now, that was totally unfair because this was a book of essays on Harper Lee that I had ordered in March. In the middle of the morning Roy emails me to let me know he has ordered another book, but when I saw the title of Swaps, Hedges and Swaptions I knew it was work related. I didn't know that swaption was a word. What he didn't know is and this is going to sound like a familiar passage in Proverbs... I went to buy a Lime Diet Coke and passed by the bookstore and there calling to me in the hallway was a new book by Bill Hybels and another pretty red book was calling for me to come over and see. I went the way of the luggard (play on words of sluggard, but luggard is for lugging so many books around) and found another book inside on the shelf. I just got back from making a purchase of three new books. Should I be honest with Roy and tell him or if he asks later in the week are those new books, I can answer uh, they've been in my closet. Nah, I will tell him.

Yep, if I was Catholic and been to confessional the priest would tell me to do 3 Hail Marys, one Our Father and drop by the Cokesberry Bookstore to pick up the latest copy of his new book.

Last night as he was working on his Sunday School lesson for Sunday and I had retired to our bedroom with Buddy, Roy said, read something for fun tonight. I took his advice and read through a couple of New Yorkers that have been stacking up over the past few weeks. Buddy by my side, a single serving of sugar free Hawaiian Punch, some good magazines, and a loving and caring husband in his den/closet. Y'all God is so good!

3 comments:

Tammie Head said...

I am cracking up cause if I EVER could relate... IT IS NOW!!! I do believe I was meant to be a librarian!!!

Books can make my heart skip a beat! Having an armful, well, it's just about as good as an armful of puppies!

Nancy, I do believe this is why I have loved you so much!! teehee

You bless me indeed!

Anonymous said...

you could think about doing what i had to do...open a bookstore!!!! I don't have it any longer but for about 20 years i could open boxes of books, read catalogues, carry books, shelve books...You make me realize how much i miss it!!!! I was going to ask you for a favorite author list but now that you mentioned Harper Lee with such (deserved) devotion i have a good idea who might be on that list BUT you could let a few names slip...please?

Anonymous said...

Nancy.....the first step is admitting
you have a problem.....the next step is not to blame me--I just work at the bookstore!! Not my fault you buy
all those books! LOL......but, I'm right behind you, buying books!!!
I can't help myself......please help.
OEG