Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Home from the newly named Artisan Lakes



We are back from staff retreat at Chain O Lakes, but beginning today the new name is Artisan Lakes. I am not too sure but alligators and artisan don't seem to mix. Alligators were all the rage for watching. Last night one camped under my room in our cabin built over a lake and rumbled and moaned looking for a female alligator for mating all night long. Those mating calls came in groups of 4 to 6 sounds. Once I heard only one rumble and of course I began to worry that something might be wrong with Alfred Alligator. You might be asking how do I know this info? I used to go bike riding on the trails at Brazos Bend State Park and the park rangers are a source of info when it came to all things alligators. When I finally decided to retire for the night, I had my iPod and I turned off the light. Wow, it was totally dark except for the alarm clock. Hmmm....too much darkness for all the sounds I was hearing or at least thought I was hearing. So, the bedside lamp stayed on all night. I awoke every hour just to see if I was asleep.

The material presented has given me much to pray about and think through. The Lord used it on many different levels. I need more time to process and download before I blog about it. I can tell you about game night. Played a mini round of Trivial Pursuit and then several hands of Uno. It has been a long time since I have played either game. When Jerrell played Uno with us it was fast and furious. His ADD and mine were on point. Steven decided he had been infected with ADD after we played. It was fun and we played several more rounds after Jerrell left.

I think these times spent with co-workers bond us together on a deeper level. I come home with a deeper appreciation and love for those I serve with. That is why I missed Courtney and Michelle and all the good laughs and times we had.

Roy said he was going to take Buddy to the Post Oak Grill last night. I told him he better dress her up cause he said he was going to have Buddy wear a tie. I reminded him that Buddy is a girl, so he said he would put a girdle on her. They didn't have that date, Roy got home too late. Buddy gave me a warm welcome home. She and I are inseparable right now. She is sitting by my foot.

When this alligator was sunning I asked several to go over and have their picture taken and no one was interested. Some see an alligator, I see shoes and a purse for me and a belt and wallet for Roy.

3 comments:

FitzandMolly said...

I miss the laughing that we did at staff retreats. Before you were full-time, Debbie Blackwood, Jerrell, Bill & I sat up and played spades while watching the State of the Union address. We were so loud...

Amanda said...

Alligators? No thank you! The Joneses have played hours and hours worth of Uno with Kay and Jerrell. Thanks for reminding me that it has been too long!

Michelle said...

nancy..i totally thought about you the last couple of days! My favorite staff retreat memory is driving in your stang all around Galveston singing at the top of our lungs. i am glad that that you had jerrell, steven and the alligator to amuse you!