Friday, May 4, 2007

Such a nice day

This has been such a relaxing day. I had a 10:00 am appointment at the Laura Mercier counter at the Nord. I thought I was going just to have my brows done, but I got the summer look. Over the past year I have almost exclusively gone with Laura Mercier product, but of course since my last make-over everything I am using is totally wrong for me. Hmmm... isn't that interesting. But it was not time wasted got the make-over and I told the makeup artist I am waiting till Sunday night to buy all this because Sunday night is the customer appreciation event where you get 10 points for every dollar you spend on your Nord card. Believe me, I am not going to buy everything she highlighted on my evaluation. Then I went to the Bistro for lunch. I had the crab cake entree complete with asparagus tempura, grilled tomato and a little salad. Great lunch. Then I went to Macy's and Urban Outfitters where I found a few things. At 1:30 I returned to the Nord for my massage appointment with Stacy. Can I tell you I am feeling really, really good. She hit all those tight spots in my neck and shoulders. Just spending this time by myself eating lunch and walking through the mall was relaxing and I was able to go through my notes from our staff retreat. I am hung up on excellence. It is such a broad topic and excellence means different things to everyone. The definition of excellence for us is going beyond the normal. Operating in how we are designed not in a default mode. To surpass expectations and basic functions. I understand that in our work and jobs, but I keep thinking through how does excellence play out in our daily life...not our work life? How can I be excellent? I saw as a child how excellence stopped at 5:00 pm or quitting time. Now as an adult I know so many whose excellent lives stop once they leave their jobs. Excellence in their relationships or lives outside of work is relegated to the last of doing life well . We miss out on so much. Once I asked God why we won't live in our moments or do things out of the ordinary, why the rote and task oriented life. He answered, "well, it is y'alls loss." I do not want to be like that. How do I prepare for those moments of everyday living to be excellent, effective and godly? I am just thinking this through. The end of I Corinthians 12 says, I will show you a more excellent way. Of course that is love. We didn't discuss the excellencies of love at the retreat. This thought moves right into what Courtney schislablog.blogspot.com has been writing about, the truth. Not using words like fine when asked how we are. I am thinking of not using the word nice or good as a descriptive of others or myself. Those are both four letter words that don't say anything. Be nice, play nice, stay nice...be good and stay good, I want there to be more depth than just these abstract words that don't say anything to my life and the lives of those who I know and love. Hmm... the massage must have stirred up some deep thoughts. Roy is home and in a little bit think we will go out to dinner and then....Target. I love that store too, but not as much as the Nord.

1 comment:

FitzandMolly said...

i have waaaaay too much to say to say it all here. i'll have to think hard on how to make it concise, and i'll comment again later.