Saturday, May 26, 2007

Which One?






You are going to feel like you are getting your eyes examined when I ask this question A or B? B or A?



These are the two pictures that we chose out of all the pictures Roy had taken yesterday. In fact I even was able to act as an assistant to Jack Potts by holding a fan to make Roy's gelled hair lift a little in the breeze. Now if you know Roy you know he is very, very conservative. He has a great dry wit, but for the most part Roy is serious in whatever he does. I love that he is a serious Bible student and teacher. I love that in some of the hardest days of our life he was a rock and still is. I love that he's concerned for people and does a lot behind the scenes that no one will ever know about. He is dang smart. He has more letters after his name than I have in my whole name. He is certified in almost every aspect of accounting and audit and just to make sure all is done legally, he got his JD just in case. Roy walks and lives out God's love. Roy gives the best gifts and the fact that he loves Buddy (not being a cat person) and plays with her brings me such great joy.


When Roy graduated from law school, we had a little party to celebrate his accomplishment. Law school was his mid life crisis I think. I was asked to tell a story about Roy and I told this story that sums him up very well. Roy went to Calgary every other year for his job and I would go along and we would take vacation while we were there. We stayed at a hotel that was on the edge of the city. He would take the train in and let me have the rental car. I would pick him up each afternoon. The train was in the middle of a highway and crossovers had been built to cross over upon exiting the train. Everyone got out and ran across the highway to the parking lot except Roy. He used the crossover and he would beam such a smile when he found me waiting for him. I cried everyday that I picked him up. He is so consistent and he does the right thing. I knew I would not be in for any "surprises" along the way (we were young marrieds at this point) and I knew I loved him, but it was watching him day after day be the only one to use the crossover that I knew I LOVED him. Most at the party thought it was an odd story to tell, but I thought it conveyed Roy the best, he does what is right, he is joyful in doing it and he loved me by letting me have wheels during the day while he worked.


He went to school at night and worked during the day. During that time he was laid off twice. He never had any vacation days to use to study for finals. He sold the course you take to prepare for the bar exam so that he would be able to take the course for free. Roy was going to law school during the time of LA Law and other legal programs that showed the cut throat nature of law school and the business of practicing law. Not so for those who Roy went to class with. They bought the course from him and shared notes with him on the review classes we could not afford. I was so proud of him when we found out he has passed the bar exam and we drove to Austin for the ceremony. In the sea of young faces and groomed to TV standards of what lawyers should look like we probably looked like proud parents. Roy had done it, gone to school, started his own consulting business during the time so that he could work from 6:00 am till class time. Clerked in the summers for an attorney on the weekends to learn that he didn't want to practice law, but use it in what he already did. Roy was creative in making sure I was not forgotten during those years...he was barely home. We would go to Fredricksburg for long weekends and stay at Bed and Breakfast's where you have the home to yourself. He would study and I would sight see and window shop. He would use American Express points and rent a fun car for the weekend. We couldn't afford to go anywhere nice, but we had great fun going to the Sonic or just running our errands.


Wow, I didn't mean to go in so much detail when I started this post, but I'm glad I did. So, let me know which picture you like the one on the left or the one on the right.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

as i look at it...my left!!!!! the one with the bigger smile!!!! I am off to eat dinner but will return!!!

Anonymous said...

i like the one on the left!

Anonymous said...

I don't have the blessing of knowing Roy, but after reading this I know you are married to a wonderful man! I loved what you said about the crosswalk.

Lisa Pierre said...

he is always 'right.'

Anonymous said...

Roy is always right, but I like the left!

Dana said...

Miss Nancy, you wouldn't have anything less than a Godly man who always does the right thing. I loved that you shared these moments with us, it gave me another snapshot of who you are...thanks! Oh, and the one on the right is good. :)

Anonymous said...

now i think Lisa is Right with her Right...I only know Roy Monarch from the Joshua class a couple years ago but he really did always look more "right" even without the suit!!!!..What a fine post about the love of your life!!!!! He is a lucky guy!