Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A Fog Free, Peace Filled Morning

This morning the fog has burned off faster than other mornings, although the mountains in the distance are still covered with the deep mist.  It is a morning after a fun-filled, wonder-filled and adventure-filled day and a fatigue-filled evening.  Roy and I came to a decision last night and I woke up this morning with such peace.  More on that later.

Yesterday, the fog cleared enough for this rookie to traverse these back roads into downtown Asheville.  One again Google Girl took me on an entirely different route and I enjoyed the scenery of verdant trees and pastures, beautiful homes, crappy looking trailers, fields being mowed and animals doing what animals do every day, eat grass and poop.  I prayed the prayer that I said I would never pray when I was seventeen years old,  yep I prayed for a close parking place, that I could get into without parallel parking.  At the age of seventeen I didn't know that parking Sequisha would be such an issue.  Heck, I didn't even know of Sequisha back then.  The Lord heard my prayer and right across the street from Malaprop's were open spaces, easy to park in and close by.  Thanks be to our God!  Malaprop's has to be one of my all time favorite indie bookstores.  I arrived with lots of quarters for the parking meter.  A local author had been at the store several weeks ago whose memoir I was very interested in and then I found more memoirs I had no clue about that needed to come home with me.  I spent a lot of time going through the bookshelves and looking at all the paper goods they sell.  Yes, I was in book nerd heaven!   Another store I have been stalking on FB is Write On, just several blocks over downhill which meant I drove because of the whole uphill return.  Once again God provided ample parking for Sequisha and me.  I wish I could have spent more time in the store but a street guy went in a few seconds before me.   Let's just say the inside of the store did not feel safe for me at that time and the owner kind of gave me the look like, I'm sorry but you should probably leave for your own safety.  From the street man's ranting, which the owner seemed well acquainted with, it was directed at women. And I did just that, got the heck out of there.  Asheville got some free time on a parking meter from me, but I was happy to be so generous with the city.

The next stop on the Monday tour was the Tobacco Warehouse.  No, I wasn't loading up for all my smoking needs, it is a huge, I mean a huge warehouse full of antiques and interesting architectural elements.  I only walked up and back down the center aisle.  It was like Round Top was located in one big place.  I was happy not to go away empty handed.  I found two Biltmore Dairy milk bottles for a good price.  You can find them online but the prices are just way too high for milk bottles.  I will be back for sure!  Since I was relatively close to the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway, a trip there was in order.  On the way I stopped to fill up Sequisha and also to look at my phone, the price on a house we really like has gone down $7,000.   Called Roy and left him a message and went on with the day's journey.  Love the Folk Art Center, such beautiful and unique treasures available for purchase.  So you know, I made my purchase and then went to the Blue Ridge Parkway Visitor Center.  It's a really cool place and it has great bathrooms.  While talking to a park ranger, that is when I decided I would drive up to the Pisgah Inn for lunch.  It's a beautiful drive that involves tunnels.  Would you, could you with a funnel?  No Sam I Am, I don't like tunnels.  But I put my big girl panties on, figuratively of course, and womaned up to drive through 7 tunnels.  (Eleven total for the day) It was worth the adventure.  It was a particularly gorgeous day....being...here it comes.... "I'm on the top of the world, looking down on creation and the only explanation I can find, is a drive up and down and tunnels to brave down, I'm sitting on top of the world."  Lunch with a spectacular view with so so food, awesome!  It was me, some biker chicks not wanting to go back to Asheville, a couple of women with oxygen tanks and vacationers.

I decided to keep on the Blue Ridge Parkway and exit on 276 to Waynesville.  I could have stayed on the BRP and exited right by a house we are seriously considering.   Let's just say I was ever so thankful we got it out of our minds that we wanted to live in the middle of the Pisgah Forest in a golf community because the road 276 is downright scary for a newbie and it should be for others as well, but what the heck, guess they are practicing their moonshine runs.  Once I got out of all the switchbacks, I wanted to stop and kiss the ground, level ground.  Google Girl took me a round about way into Waynesville but I have come to accept these adventures down new roads.  Found a couple more produce stands that way.  I came into Waynesville and since there was wide open parking in front of Mast General, I stopped in because I love that store.  Going at 4:30 in the afternoon on a weekday is the way to go.  Not crowded at all.  Stopped by the DQ in Canton for ice cream and I headed back to the cottage.

My plans for the evening were disrupted by the news of the phone call from my father.  I was a good kind of tired but it quickly went to fatigue as we pondered our options.  Roy was rather agitated about the whole thing and said something like you sure are taking this calmly....my response was so godly...."well, I can't very well get upset up here.  I am alone and don't want to call 911 if my heart goes wacky on me."  Then I mentioned the verses I had read that morning.  Ah yes, godly came through at the end.    Roy went for a trek ride and I vegged on the couch.  We talked a little later in the evening and we both had come to the same conclusion to let the boxes go, let them go......to Salvation Army.  The boxes are still part of his ploy and his way of manipulating control to have something that you might want or need from him.  Really, I have pictures, don't want my baby clothes and all the other stuff that who knows what it is.  It would be so disruptive of the restorative work God has done in me and I have closure, these boxes would just rip all that apart.

I am so thankful for friends who were willing to go over to crazy land and pick up the boxes.  Thank you Peggy and Kathleen.  Belinda's idea of no habla ingles' was perfect and made me laugh.  She could have given my father fits for sure.

So this morning I have peace like a river, a peace that passes all understanding, and a peace that is guarding my heart, both spiritually and physically.  My dining companions, the cows, are sitting on the ground which is an indication of rain.  That's fine and welcomed, although I understand all this rain will make the leaves this fall not as spectacular.  Now I am going to get up out of this chair before I have to watch the nimble cows get off the ground.

No comments: