Monday, August 11, 2014

It's a Biltmore Kind of Day

It is a Biltmore morning for Nancy and Erin...well and me too, but that is a given.  We are going to go early for breakfast at the Inn, then Nancy and Erin will tour the house etc.  I am trying to decide if I will wait for them on the estate or go off into Asheville until they call me.  Who knows?  But today will be a very fun day.

Yesterday, I let the girls sleep in because they had a longer than planned drive here.  We fixed brunch and got dressed.  We headed over to Waynesville to drive past the house we are considering and then stopped at Barber's Produce Stand for apples and a few bakery goods.  Across the way is a warehouse type antique mall and we went in search of a chair for Erin's desk.  No luck, but I did find some old hymnals that were the right price and 30% off if I paid with cash or check.  Such a deal!  Our next stop, Mast General Store.  On weekends that place is filled and frenzied, not like the easy pace that Erin remembered from her visit in April.  Each one of us found something that needed to come home with us, surprise...mine was a book and note cards.   If you come this way a stop in The Moose Cafe is called for, so that's where we ate our late lunch/early dinner.  Even then, the place was packed.  Full of veggies and cobbler, we made our way back to the cottage.  Erin and I took apples over to the goats while Nancy took a nap.  Then we acted like old people and sat on the porch watching the cars and trucks and motorcycles go by.  I had one of my hiking sticks and would shake it at the too fast for the road cars.  Ah, the joys of being 60.  The temperatures were so cool yesterday that with the breeze I had to go put a sweatshirt on to keep warm on the porch.

Roy said Buddy has been so glad to see him that she has even been sitting on his lap.  She rarely does that preferring my lap.  I love that they are bonding, but I don't want to lose my rank with her.

The cows are dining in another meadow this morning, but I can hear them moo every so often.  In the distant background of sound I hear the drum line of a high school band practicing.  The sun is trying to break through the overcast skies.  Dare I say it?  Truly, the hills are alive with the sound of music....ahhhhahhhhhahhhh......

No comments: