Wednesday, August 13, 2014

My First Day

The evening breeze is lovely this time of night when the sun slowly sets over the mountains and the clouds gather round to cover our little valley.  It is beautiful and so relaxing.  I did as I had planned, took the day as a day of rest and recouping.  When the sun came out this afternoon, it was difficult to hold onto my plan.  I knew there was a reason I didn't really clean up today.  The day has been filled with books and some writing.  I'm not here on a writing retreat or anything, but one cannot help but be inspired.  I kind of had a surprise this morning when I heard a voice coming from behind the trees, "hello, hello....I'm from State Farm doing some work for Bill."  I'll go all 60 on you and tell you he was such a nice young man.  We visited a bit before he began his first round of inspection around the outside of the house and when he came around on the second time, I asked him some questions about the area.  He is a native of this area and now lives in Asheville but wish he didn't because it is getting too crowded.  I did ask about the area we are looking at and he said nothing but good things even making sure we weren't buying in a particular area because of some water issues.  I have got to remember that most likely wherever we buy, the possibility of having well water is rather high.   This is all a part of my due diligence work this week.  I have tomorrow scheduled out for some look-sees around the area.

Nancy called this afternoon to let me know they made it home and in record time.  We had such a blast laughing and eating and visiting.  For my dessert this evening I had some sliced peaches fresh from South Carolina.  Oh my....they are delicious!  Roy bought a huge bag so that I could share them with Nancy and Erin.  The wife of the couple that own the cottage told me on the phone the other day that in the summer in NC in this area, you can eat fresh 95% of the time and she is correct.  I finished up the last of the strawberries at lunch when I ate my sandwich.  The thought of calling in a pizza crossed my mind, but I might do that later this week.

I started reading Voices From North Carolina Mountains, Appalachian Oral Histories, this afternoon. It is a delightful book, with great stories and much to ponder since electricity came to rural America.  It totally changed the way of life because before then people lived by the natural rhythms of life, up early, work, and go to sleep when it got dark.  The winter was for rest and repair, yet there was quite a few things that needed attending to during the cold winters up in the mountains.

I am waiting on Roy to call and once we have talked I believe goodnight will be soon coming for me.  I am an hour ahead time wise.

No comments: