Sunday, August 31, 2014

He's Baaaaccccck!

It was a dark and scary night once we exited off the freeway and began the journey on the country roads to our cottage.  I have driven these roads so many times, so many times I don't even use Google Girl to find my way to Weaverville or Future I 26.  Once we exited though, I did have her on backup because these roads look totally different in the dark.  Those easy turns in daylight are fraught with adventure at night.  You feel like you are making a blind turn off the face of the earth.  Complicating this even more was the fact I had on the wrong glasses for mountain country, back road driving.  Roy was doing my distance watching and I kept my focus directly in front of Sequisha.  There were those few times that Roy would say something rather excitedly that had nothing to do with our game of concentration of roads, that would scare me thinking I had pulled in front of a car or I had made a wrong decision. OK, there was one time on I 26 that I changed lanes and Roy thought I had gone the wrong way...no...who has been up here for a month and driving this very same freeway.  Anyway, we never had anyone directly behind us on the road and that was a blessing, a HUGE blessing.  Just as soon as we pulled into the driveway, the drops of rain predicted by the weather service began to fall ever so gently and just as soon as we were on the front porch the rain began to fall harder.  Thank you Lord for that blessing.  Dark roads with rain....oh my.  On the front porch was a bottle of sparkling Biltmore grape juice from our friends Bill and Vivian.  But you know how it is when you've been separated for a while and well you look forward to a certain time and thing together???   We were not disappointed because....Yes!  It is college football kick off weekend and LSU was on TV but here LSU was on our iPad.  What did you think I was talking about?  Haha!

The timing in picking up Roy at the airport was just pretty much darn perfect!  It is so easy to drop off and pick up at the Greenville/Spartanburg airport.  On the way home we stopped at Cracker Barrel for dinner and then headed to those back roads of darkness.

This morning my usual companions, the cows, are in the yonder pasture, so I had another breakfast companion this morning, Roy.  We had our coffee and breakfast together on the back porch talking about plans and schedules and such.  The cows had raised a high bar for being breakfast companions, but Roy accepted the challenge and surpassed the level that the cows had set.  Only in one category did he fall short.  He couldn't compete in blowing his nose verses cow snorts and snot.  For this I am thankful.

No comments: