Friday, August 22, 2014

It Wasn't The One...But We Are Good With That

The news came sooner than later.  Brian called earlier this afternoon letting us know the sellers had taken the other offer.  Really, neither Roy nor I are that upset that we didn't get the house.  We couldn't compete against cash and a shorter due diligence time.  In some ways I am relieved because as much as we like the Waynesville area, I am falling in love with the area around the cottage.  It has a country feel but you are only fifteen minutes from the city.  I looked at a house yesterday that I loved, so if it is still on the market when Roy gets here, we will go take a look at it.  It doesn't have the three levels that Roy is looking for, but it has two bonus rooms and a killer view.  All the bedrooms are upstairs but the living room could be converted in time of need to a bedroom type area. I did really well on the stairs in all the homes we looked at yesterday, so although I have had pain the stairs aren't keeping me down.   We have a local mortgage broker here and have our letter that qualifies us for a loan, so we are in good shape.  If we do not find a home this trip, we will continue to online search and come up this way as need be.  Yes, I know it is painful to come up here and enjoy the beauty of the mountains, but gosh darn it, someone has to do it.

After all the early morning phone calls and arrangements, I decided to take Roy's shirts to the cleaners and try to find a nail salon.  I was successful in finding both, although I was a little nervous at the salon.  I didn't recognize several of the implements that were used in my pedicure and I think the owner was the one who did mine.  I don't think I followed instructions fast enough and I barely could decipher what she was telling me to do.  I was so reminded of Lisa P's story of her experience with Pam and the blade...  this thing was more than a blade, it was a machete.   I did walk away with all ten toes and a really nice design on my big toe just like at home.  Her leg massage was awesome.  I tipped her well and I think maybe if I ever went back I wouldn't be afraid.  After going to Lotus for so long at home, I was not used to the stop and start of the pedicure.  This lady was taking care of everyone and everything...all in Vietnamese.

I know we have lots of strange looking people at home and I am probably used to them and they are just a blip on my radar but some people up here are worth the second look because you can't believe what you are seeing.  When I came out of the nail salon today, there was a son and his mother.  The son looked to be in his 50's and he was in a wheelchair moving at a fast speed away from his mother. This lady had to be 80 and she had on short shorts, knee socks, a beret, and a skimpy top.  She could barely walk and she called out to her son to slow down.  How was she going to find her a husband and a daddy for him if he sped away like that.  I wasn't brave enough to try and take a picture.  Then I realized I shouldn't be so amused by something that seemed so strange but a deeper story is buried underneath all that bizarreness.

No comments: